VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I am putting together a system using this I-BUS 386 SBC and a 14-slot ISA backplane.

I think I can use it as-is, but I don't have the manual and would like to know what the different headers are for. The one marked KBD is obviously for the keyboard. There is also one marked HD LED so that is for the IDE controller. The floppy, IDE, and COM2 ports are obvious as well. The ones marked with the various J numbers are the ones I would like to figure out.

The barrel battery is lithium so if it is good I don't have to worry about leakage.

I have already contacted I-BUS and they don't have the manual for this anymore.

board.JPG
Filename
board.JPG
File size
718.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
bios.JPG
Filename
bios.JPG
File size
450.68 KiB
Views
File license
headers.JPG
Filename
headers.JPG
File size
677.87 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: The model number per the archive I-BUS webpage is simply I386
https://web.archive.org/web/19961106073413/ht … om:80/I386.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I have it up and running. Looking through the BIOS and this thing apparently has a run-time option for enabling/disabling the cache... Key sequence listed in the BIOS is CTRL ALT + and CTRL ALT -
That is kinda really cool if I want to slow it down to who knows how much.

The 4-pin header near the left edge of the card is not the PC Speaker.. I tried a couple different ones both ways and got no sound... or maybe it doesn't beep until it goes past the initial POST screen which it won't yet because I don't have a drive hooked up to try to boot from. I'll have to retry once I hook a floppy up to it. Right now I am just letting in run in the BIOS to see if the RTC battery will charge up. First few times I booted, it said it was discharged and then stopped saying it so I think it is actually charging.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was typical for that era for MR BIOS BIOSes to enable keyboard key sequences for enabling/disabling L1/L2 cache. What bothered me was that my turbo/deturbo button didn't work.

How many of these ISA board computers are you going to stick into your backplane? Can you create a Beowulf cluster for fun?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@cyclone3d
Awesome another SBC build 😁 do you also have a chassis or just the backplane?

Since you got the card going can you download NSSI and make a dump of the BIOS so we can add it to the MR-BIOS repository thread?
You can grab it here: http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm , just go to Tools -> Save BIOS and it's done 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website