VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, can a SB16 VIBRA configured to mono-output via software?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

its not really mono but I guess you could use mixerset to mute one of the channels.
Question is why?! not much is in stereo?

Reply 2 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simply select Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster 2.0 in games instead of SB Pro/SB16. You can also change the BLASTER variable accordingly.

ps: you can actually select SB Pro in games as well, which is mono on all SB16 cards, too. Or in other words: You only ever get stereo sound if the software supports SB16 and you choose exactly that.

Reply 3 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My PM7300 has only one mono-speaker. My PC-Card has a Vibra16 Soundblaster stereo.
Sometimes Music or SFX does not sound right because of the mono-speaker.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

My PM7300 has only one mono-speaker. My PC-Card has a Vibra16 Soundblaster stereo.
Sometimes Music or SFX does not sound right because of the mono-speaker.

You can also use a simple Y-cable for that purpose.
The commercially available types do produce shorts, though.
While they do work with most audio hardware, some harware can break if they do contain no caps or resistors on the ouputs.
Personally, I would make a simple adapter cable myself for that purpose.
Either with resistors, caps or little audio transformers (AF transformer, NF-Trafo; 1:10). An optocouplerwould be best, but requires power.
Here's an idea of mine (quick&dirty schematic), which I used for my Commodore 1702 monitor once (mono speaker).
In terms of caps, I'd use 10 µF caps each. Depending on the audio range you like to hear, you can use other values as well.

Attachments

• mono.png
    Filename
    mono.png
    File size
    13.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, there was a special cable-set for wiring the pc-card-sound-out to the feature-connectors on the board.
Because I do nat want to change the wiring I am searching for a software solution.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I see. I mistakenly assumed the PM was a monitor (like a Sony PVM), not a Mac.
Well, I'm sorry then, I can't help with a software solution. Choosing SB2/OPL2 in-game is the best I can think of, as well.
The last Idea I've got is to do a tiny hardware mod. Solder a 100 nF cap (bipolar) across the L and R output on the Vibra PCB. It will make the signal mono, too.
But be warned, that's not very elegant. It works and is harmless to the hardware, but not very elegant from an audio technican's point of view. 😀

Edit: Please check the Vibra's mixer utility for balance sliders.
Moving them hard left/hard right might solve your problem.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//