VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard is ABIT VT6X4, and I flashed the BIOS to the 2/14/2001 release. I'm trying to use a 1000MHZ 133MHZ (FSB) slot 1 processor. I'm aware the voltage is 1.7V, and I've done basically everything I can think of - I can't find any newer versions of the BIOS, and I've tried reusing the old 800MHZ 100MHX (FSB) processor and that one works perfectly, and if I go into the softmenu utility and set it to what the new processor is, then I put the new one in, it won't show a single thing on the screen! Another thing I noticed is that the faster processor I bought says IBM on the top on a sticker. Are these things proprietary or something? The chipset is via apollo pro133a.

Either case I'm about to take this motherboard outside and shoot it with a .22 rifle or something, it's getting on my nerves.

Reply 1 of 8, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No beeps ?

There are no proprietary CPUs from what I know. I bought some OEM Dell PIII and the issue I had is the heatsink sides are straight aluminium rectangles instead of the Slot1 notch allowing to secure the CPU :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLOFG_WWYcCd0UmuaR6_8UPSzuRdWx9RUQ8-BmQ3U-JhcPsOGerg

Those sides made the CPU really hard to fit into a standard slot retention bracket, and it didn't boot because the CPU wasn't fully down to the bottom of the slot for proper contact.

Does yours looks like this one ?

Reply 2 of 8, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like that but I swapped the heatsink with my other one and it went down all the way no matter what. I even tried it without a heatsink on and it still didn't show the BIOS or anything! It powered up but that was it. Drives were working. I think it's a dead CPU. I'll have to return it.

Also there aren't any beeps.

Reply 4 of 8, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't work. Going to return it. I'll try another one before ruling out the CPUs.

Shame too I'm getting a bottleneck with Unreal Tournament on my Geforce3 TI 200 and my Pentium III 800MHZ 100(FSB) MHZ processor might be the criminal here.

Also I forgot to mention - if I set the FSB MHZ to 133 on my processor it won't show the BIOS or anything. No beeps either.

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the CPU itself? I have run into multiple Slot 1 CPUs where there was too much oxidation on the CPU edge connector. Cleaning with a pencil eraser fixed them right up.

Looks like the latest BIOS is vt6x4yk.exe
http://abit.ws/page/en/motherboard/motherboar … &pPRODINFO=BIOS

From a CPU support list, it says you need that one "or the latest" to support that CPU.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ABIT/VT6X4.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens if you leave it at 100Mhz FSB and them put the 1GHz CPU in there?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

What happens if you leave it at 100Mhz FSB and them put the 1GHz CPU in there?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard?

Tried both of those methods earlier yesterday and they didn't work. I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and stick with 800MHZ for now, or just do a smaller upgrade.