VOGONS

Eprom Burner Recommendations

Topic actions

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As the title says. I am in the market for an Eprom Burner and I'm not too familiar with the models that exist today. Are there any advantages or disadvantages between usb and parallel?

Reply 1 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went full-on retro with mine, a Xeltek Unipro that runs on a dedicated ISA card in a 386.

Honestly, don't do this. The software is finicky as hell, it only supports a limited subset of the size & speed variations that are out there, the documentation is long gone (although the software package IS still available on Xeltek's website! Kudos for that!), I still have no idea if it can burn EEPROMS, and it makes regular use a PITA because I have to go through a tweener machine to get images off the internet onto the 386 it's connected to.

Get a cheap, modern USB one with easily downloadable software & a PDF manual and be done with it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 20, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, I think most people use the TL866 and I can also recommend it. I was very surprised about the good quality of Software and Device as I expected China crap for this price... You should look for an offer with adapters included. If ordered from China its quite cheap.

Reply 3 of 20, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MiniPro TL866 - 30$

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can also recommend the TL866CS (http://www.autoelectric.cn/en/tl866_main.html).
The above link is just the official support site. Check out eBay for the cheapest deals.
I've used this programmer on quite a number of occasions and it works great. If, however, you plan on programming very old EPROM chips that require a high programming voltage, then you might have issues (refer the support list) but, most motherboard based E(E)PROM chips don't have such a high programming voltage requirement.

Take note that the TL866CS & TL866A models are now out of production and was replaced by the newer TL866II Plus model.

Reply 5 of 20, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another vote for the TL866.

I can't fault this device, it works well and the software is very easy to use. On the software just watch out for that irritating "Check ID" box that can sometimes end up ticked and cause frustration. It's a nice function when you actually need it though, which will probably be never.

With regards to older Parallel programmers, simply just don't. It might be in keeping retro, but it will certainly be more of a headache to actually use, stick with modern USB.

Reply 9 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have looked briefly on the TL866-II model and it seems to be the same , it just supports more newer ICs and has a lower maximum programming voltage IIRC.
It is just more suitable for newer stuff IMHO but unless you want to burn really ancient eproms it shouldn't be any difference.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 20, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope this doesn’t count as necro yet, but I just have a quick question and didn't feel like it deserves a new thread. The TL866-II Plus supposedly supports testing sram. Has anybody ever tried that? Did work reliably for you? I want to test my bag of sram (386 486 586 L2 cache style) and pick out the dead ones of which I know there are some and I'm afraid to kill a board with it.

Reply 11 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eleanor1967 wrote:

I hope this doesn’t count as necro yet, but I just have a quick question and didn't feel like it deserves a new thread. The TL866-II Plus supposedly supports testing sram. Has anybody ever tried that? Did work reliably for you? I want to test my bag of sram (386 486 586 L2 cache style) and pick out the dead ones of which I know there are some and I'm afraid to kill a board with it.

The TL866 (non-II) also has in its software a SRAM/DRAM testion option. No, I haven't used it.
You can actually download and install the software without having the programmer connected, and look through its supported chips and options before deciding what to buy.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12 of 20, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the TL866CS/PLUS myself and got it for a good price on Amazon for $50 (now $56) and it read my Packard Bell's BIOS chip without issues since it's supported.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14 of 20, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:

The TL866 (non-II) also has in its software a SRAM/DRAM testion option. No, I haven't used it.
You can actually download and install the software without having the programmer connected, and look through its supported chips and options before deciding what to buy.

Thanks for the tip, I totally assumed the software wouldn't work without the programmer attached.

.legaCy wrote:

Minipro TL866CS (be sure to not get the II version).
I had a Genius G540 and it was a piece of junk compared to my Minipro.

Whats wrong with the II plus version? I thought the only negative difference would be dropped 21 Volt support? Are these chips common on IBM compatible machines? I didn't encounter anything higher than 12 Volts so far.

Reply 15 of 20, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Whats wrong with the II plus version? I thought the only negative difference would be dropped 21 Volt support? Are these chips common on IBM compatible machines? I didn't encounter anything higher than 12 Volts so far.

A good rule of thumb with EPROMs is: the older they are the more voltage they require. 2708s for instance need 21V, and there are some older types at 25V IIRC.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 16 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
Eleanor1967 wrote:

A good rule of thumb with EPROMs is: the older they are the more voltage they require. 2708s for instance need 21V, and there are some older types at 25V IIRC.

My father's EPROMs from the CP/M or IBM PC days were all 21v or 24v. When I was little, I thought that was the norm.
To this day, "modern" 27xxx series 12v EPROMs in plastic casing still feel unnatural to me. 😒

Edit: I've got both the G540 and TL866 (not sure which revision) here.
If I had the money, I would have bought the G840 and a newer TL model instead. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the tl866 II Plus (that's what the sticker says at the bottom of the device).

Extremely easy and fast, never had a problem flashing a bios for 486,p1, p2 and p3.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18 of 20, by mcfly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're on a budget, get a used TL866CS. Since new model is out, people will sell older models to chase the rabbit. For all purposes of retro stuff TL866CS is more than enough. It covers most of the eeproms you can find on old boards + it has support for older chips for some exotic stuff (+21V). CS usually go a lower prices than A model. With a little effort you can convert CS to A, using guide found on eevblog. After soldering ICSP header you can program MCUs too if you have such needs 😀. Make sure you also get some most common adapters, some boards use PLCC packaging instead of DIP. TL866 II may be relevant for some newer stuff, it has support for 1.8V NAND among others (can be acheived using an adapter on original 866). You may also want a SOIC clip-on adapter in case the bios is solderer like in GPU. Of course there are other reputable brands, faster with better (wider) chip support, but the TL sits in a sweet spot in terms of price/quality/speed for hobbyst use. I've found only one disadvantage so far - the built-in socket gets dirty quickly, so make sure you clean it from time to time or if you are lazy - wiggle a chip/adapter a bit 😀. Not to mention that had to clean some residue leftovers from soldering inside, but I do this for all the chineese products.
PS. Even though the old model is officially out of production, they released a month ago another firmware update for it. Not too bad after all

Reply 19 of 20, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have many programmers ..
Turns out unless you spend a fortune ..then one size does not fit all .
For most modern devices and some olde eproms ..the versatile TL866 is my go to programmer ..but I occasionally need to flash an older device ..and for discontinued chips ..The Micromaster 1000 (parallel interface) or the ISA/DOS Expro is needed.
Here are most of my proggers and adapters ..
Though this is not a complete list ..
I have some homebrew stuff ..and a couple of dedicated pic devices as well ..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0114.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0114.JPG
    File size
    298.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSCF0113.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0113.JPG
    File size
    305.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0112.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0112.JPG
    File size
    315.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0111.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0111.JPG
    File size
    321.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0110.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0110.JPG
    File size
    327.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Vipersan on 2018-08-31, 12:53. Edited 1 time in total.