VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am finally looking for a case for my 286, which is more or less complete now, but simply sitting on my desk so far. I already have a nice modular ATX power supply, plus AT cases are extremely hard to come by here, so I want to go with a modern ATX case. I want it to have a glass window, so I can see the retro hardware. At the moment my favorite is this beQuiet pure base 600 window:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/938

I think it might fit, since it has 7 slots. It also has two 5.25" external drive bays for real floppy drives or a modded GoTek.

Question is: will it fit an AT mainboard? I am willing to punch (or rather drill) some mounting holes, if necessary. Are there other cases that people have already used, and which have drive bays as well as a window?

I also want a rather minimalist looking case, no fancy gamer stuff or LED lighting. I do not want to distract from the retro components. The orange lines are still to be discussed -- same case is available in black. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ninkeo wrote:

Normal full-sized AT motherboards might be a little too long to fit unless you have the board measurements. If they're within the case's interior limits, it should fit without any real trouble. I know for sure baby-AT boards fit fine inside ATX cases though.

Hm, I will have to measure my board. The Fox Baby-AT is a bit broken, so I will use my Magitronic B233 Super 286 board, which is slightly longer.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, i tried picking up this problem today. Turns out my board is 330mm deep and ATX allows for 300mm. D'oh! I think I will have to go to a computer shop here and have a look at the cases to see if the board would still fit. I mean I need 3cm extra, without many components there. Also since I am using a CF drive, I do not intend to populate the drive bays... so maybe an ATX midi tower will still fit.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 4 of 13, by deleted_nk

User metadata
root42 wrote:

Ok, i tried picking up this problem today. Turns out my board is 330mm deep and ATX allows for 300mm. D'oh! I think I will have to go to a computer shop here and have a look at the cases to see if the board would still fit. I mean I need 3cm extra, without many components there. Also since I am using a CF drive, I do not intend to populate the drive bays... so maybe an ATX midi tower will still fit.

If you can, look for an E-ATX case. They seem to allow for up to 350mm clearance with the longer E-ATX motherboards (used on high-end desktop boards for Intel X99 / AMD Threadripper), which should fit your full-length AT board 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ninkeo wrote:
root42 wrote:

If you can, look for an E-ATX case. They seem to allow for up to 350mm clearance with the longer E-ATX motherboards (used on high-end desktop boards for Intel X99 / AMD Threadripper), which should fit your full-length AT board 😀

Yes, I already thought about that one. And I will go that route, if nothing else works. Two disadvantegs: Cases are usually much bigger (big tower) and also much more expensive. BeQuiet EATX cases are twice the price of the small towers... But I will keep on shopping around...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 6 of 13, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use an ATX case for my AT board Pentium 200

Works pretty well, stand offs are where they need to be. Of course, I have to switch it on and off using the back PSU swtich, but that isn't too big of a deal given that it is a nice, working Pentium 200 on an AT motherboard I got cheaply ($30 delivered or so) and that makes it awesome 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might search for this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0bbx3h_EU

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 8 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote:

I use an ATX case for my AT board Pentium 200

Works pretty well, stand offs are where they need to be. Of course, I have to switch it on and off using the back PSU swtich, but that isn't too big of a deal given that it is a nice, working Pentium 200 on an AT motherboard I got cheaply ($30 delivered or so) and that makes it awesome 😀

Do you know the dimensions or so of your mainboard? Or are you able to easily take them?

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

stand off's are going to be a real problem, most cases made since about 2003 don't have the holes for AT anymore, so your left with only the common stand off positions for AT and ATX

Reply 11 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if push comes to shove, I am willing to drill extra holes into the case. 😀

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 12 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're not wanting a big tower EATX case, another option might be chambered / cube cases like the Corsair Air 540 - it could probably take a board as big as 345mm (if you lose the front fans) and has front bays and windowed options. Usually used ones are readily available on the Bay. More minimalist (no front bays) would be something like the anidees AI-Crystal Cube Lite. Thermaltake do one, the Core X9, with an edge on motherboard mount, but its quite pricey.

Reply 13 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

If you're not wanting a big tower EATX case, another option might be chambered / cube cases like the Corsair Air 540 - it could probably take a board as big as 345mm (if you lose the front fans) and has front bays and windowed options. Usually used ones are readily available on the Bay. More minimalist (no front bays) would be something like the anidees AI-Crystal Cube Lite. Thermaltake do one, the Core X9, with an edge on motherboard mount, but its quite pricey.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I do want one or two bays -- for floppy drives. One would be ok, two would be great, but not essential. I will check it out!

YouTube and Bonus