VOGONS

First post, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whats your best guess as to what single desktop CPU two Xeon 5080 dual core CPUs equate too in perforce?

Reply 2 of 8, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Xeon 5080 use the dempsey core. So probably the same silicon as the presler cores in the Pentium EE 965. These cpus are netburst based so I don't think they would be close to a QX9770, imo

Edit: Depending on your mobo you might be able to upgrade to Xeon 51xx or Xeon 53xx. Which are Woodcrest (same as Conroe) and Kentsfield based

Reply 3 of 8, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So...
Probably better in multithreading apps than Q8200/Q8400*.
I guess max. estimate as on par with Q9400/Q9500 performance (but that is max. for not OC'ed Xeon).

Also, worse in single threaded apps than Core 2 Duo E6600.

Newer stuff is hard to predict (if you asking about Ryzen/*Lake or even Nehalem).

*assuming different-socket communitaction lines won't bottleneck Xeon performance.

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 8, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the replies. That sounds promising enough that it could possibly play some new ish games. I may build it up and have a go at seeing how well/poorly a netburst systems holds up today.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While Passmark isn't the be all end all of benchmarks, this should give you a rough idea since this Pentium Extreme Edition 965 is about the same as one of your Xeon 5080s:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Pe … 132vs2886vs2925

In other words, one CPU has similar per-thread performance to the latest 1.1Ghz 6 Watt Atom-based mobile Pentiums, while scoring far lower in multithreaded benchmarks.

Since the individual cores (not to mention HT) benefit so little from each other, I doubt having two CPUs will bring it anywhere near the performance of even a Core 2 Quad. Would still be interesting to see what it can do though, since this is basically the pinnacle of the pre-Core era.

Prepare for 260 Watts of processing power! 😲

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2018-06-22, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 8, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be interesting to see what a pair of these will do. Since they are 1066MHz FSB you could try a BSEL mod and run them at 1333. I have a pair of dempsey core Xeons around here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look and they aren't 5080s anyways.

@agent_x007 How much voltage does your 965 need for 1333MHz FSB (with stock multi, I'm guessing its unlocked)?