VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Several months ago I was buying a motherboard from someone and he offered to chuck something ancient he couldn't figure out in the deal. That something turned out to be a Wyse PC386 SBC-type motherboard with daughterboard and one connected memory board, all designed to be plugged into a 16b ISA backplane.

At the time I didn't have a backplane nor did I have a CPU or keyboard with Wyse RJ11 connector. But bit by bit I got the necessary pieces until I was at last ready to test it. First test was a complete zero, not helped by an untested CPU. But this evening I got my hands on another supposedly known-good CPU and got to work again. At first it was as unsuccessful as before, but one time I suddenly saw "02" on my POST card. There was some life left in it. So I redoubled my efforts. I checked all the jumpers (surprisingly few given its age and complexity), but everything was set correctly. I removed and re-mounted all the socketed chips (lots of them...) and still nothing more than that "02" if I was lucky. If not it was "00" or "01".

Finally I tried to figure out what the "02" meant. A quick google showed that the Wyse BIOS was a rebranded Phoenix BIOS - but not which one. So the 02 was ambiguous. Then I figured that it might be beeping at me so I got a speaker and tried that. Supposedly J4 ("Power good/Speaker ") was the one for that. The only way you could fit a standard 4 pin, 2 wire speaker cable didn't do anything, so I tried other combinations. Still no beeps, but suddenly one boot attempt the POST card shot through to 27. So I fiddled some more and discovered two combinations of pins that reliably gave me 27 and very, very rarely (twice to date) actually booted fully. That means I now know it's a Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS Version 3.52 and that the 02 and 27 were probably CMOS read error and keyboard controller failure. Note that the system responds to keyboard when it boots.

So, IT's ALIVE!

However behaviour is still extremely flaky, no doubt because I'm (ab)using a speaker to do something that should be related to "Power good". So my question is if anyone knows what these pins are expecting so I can provide that instead.

This is the motherboard:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/W/WY … MODEL-3216.html
The pins are at J4 on the daughterboard.

It looks like this:
o o o . o
1 2 3 4 5
(possibly I have the numbering the wrong way round, there's no clear pin 1)

If I connect either 1 or 3 to 5 I get at least a 27 and maybe a boot. I'm a bit reticent about just shorting 3 to 5, out of fear of damaging something that expects some resistance.

Reply 1 of 9, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my guesses: being a SBC it doesn't have a direct connection to the PG signal from the power supply, but needs it nevertheless, so it's expecting it on one of those pins. Using a 470-ohm resistor I'd try and connect each pin, one by one, to the PG line from the PSU, then power on. Excluding ground pins, if any.

Reply 2 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turns out it's much simpler: no luck with the resistor, but with straight 5V to pin 5 (as in diagram above) it likes it.

Also, replacing the Trident TVGA8900CL card with an ancient DFI VG-3000 (Oak OTI037C) seemed to make it more reliable. No idea why, but getting hardware this old to run is more of a dark art than a science. I've added an I/O controller (WD1003-WA2 ST506+floppy) and can boot from Gotek. Now all I need to do is find the BIOS config utility, as without that I can't configure the hard drive. Failing that I have an untested 8b ST506+floppy controller with its own BIOS I could try. Oh well, so far, so good 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by zxarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you ever manage to locate the setup disk for this old system? I too have a WY3216-01. It's sentimental to me, first IBM clone I had as a kid. Trying to rebuild it, but the BIOS disk is rather important.

Please let me know if you managed to. I've just started searching myself. I'm about ready to start poking random email addresses at the now 'Dell Wyse' in hopes an older engineer is still there. Hah.

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 9, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2019-08-16, 15:49:

No, have to admit I've not done a thing with it for the past year. Have been keeping a lookout for that disk, but no luck there.

Hi, I have an image of the disk you're looking for. It is the setup program that you can use to set the BIOS as well as initialize the hard disk, test hardware, etc.

Reply 6 of 9, by cshell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bitslasher wrote on 2021-01-18, 05:05:

Hi, I have an image of the disk you're looking for. It is the setup program that you can use to set the BIOS as well as initialize the hard disk, test hardware, etc.

Hi, I am in the process of restoring a Stellar GS-2000 graphics supercomputer. It uses a WYSE pc386 as the host, and its RTC battery has of course discharged and therefore the configuration has been lost. This machine was absent any media or documentation. This setup program you mention would be the first step toward getting the system running (the pc386 performs the microcode loadout to the main vector processors). Because I'm new on the forum, I'm not able to send any PMs. I'd be most appreciative of your help!

Reply 7 of 9, by zxarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I can't DM you on this site, as I haven't participated in enough forum posts yet. Can we find some way to get these disk images out into the wild somewhere?

Thank you!

Reply 8 of 9, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone! My apologies, I didn't see your responses!

I have actually already posted a bootable MS-DOS 3.31 disk to archive.org.

The disk includes both the setup utility and the LCD utility that lets you set custom messages on the display panel.

https://archive.org/details/wyse-pc-setup

The setup program works on:

WY-2108 Wyse 286 8 Mhz
WY-2112 Wyse 286 12 Mhz
WY-2116 Wyse 286 16 Mhz
WY-3216 Wyse 386 16 Mhz
WY-3225 Wyse 386 25 Mhz

Reply 9 of 9, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zxarr wrote on 2021-02-26, 02:16:

Hello! I can't DM you on this site, as I haven't participated in enough forum posts yet. Can we find some way to get these disk images out into the wild somewhere?

Thank you!

Hi, responding to your post, hoping you get this update.

I've posted a bootable utility disk to archive.org. The disk includes both the setup utility and the LCD utility that lets you set custom messages on the display panel.

https://archive.org/details/wyse-pc-setup

The setup program works on:

WY-2108 Wyse 286 8 Mhz
WY-2112 Wyse 286 12 Mhz
WY-2116 Wyse 286 16 Mhz
WY-3216 Wyse 386 16 Mhz
WY-3225 Wyse 386 25 Mhz