VOGONS

First post, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Ti486SXL-40 on a board with the BIOS ID X0-0100-001379-00101111-060692-495SX_A-F. This board has a specific L1 Cache entry in the Advanced BIOS settings, and so should have full support for the Cx486DLC and presumably the Ti486SXL. I had a .PDF manual of it somewhere (that I'd found on STASON.ORG after looking at all the line drawings and finding the one that most closely matched) but can't find it now, but I think the jumpers are all set correctly for the ISA bus clock ratio and stuff.

When the turbo is set to the slow mode, the system is extremely unstable and will often freeze up during even just booting to MS-DOS 6.22 without any memory managers/drivers (I have a multiboot configuration with one option being "CLEAN" and not loading anything). One thing that reliably freezes it is the Superscape 3DBench, which will draw the initial screen with the computer and the "HAL" in the background, and the countdown never moves. I have to hit reset to regain control of the system.

When the system is at the full speed, it runs just fine. I suppose it shouldn't bother me too much, but maybe I'd like to slow the system down a bit for some of the much older games used to 8088/8086 systems without any caching at all.

Last edited by AlaricD on 2018-06-26, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 1 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet I know which board you have.

Is it this one?
s-l1000.jpg

I've never been able to get mine working in this board. It says it supports DLC type CPUs, but they just make the board incredibly unstable, and no amount of tweaking can make it work.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I bet I know which board you have.

Is it this one?
[Image Unquoted]

That is the one! Last night, I sifted through the Stason images while booting/rebooting/even more rebooting and found that while I never could get it stable when Turbo was set to "slow" (I never could wrap my head around the notion that if "Turbo" is "On" then the machine is actually slowed down), it did pick up some speed in 3DBench if I set the Fast A20 Gate Handler to "Off". Like, from 18.5 to 24.1.

The board is either http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GI … 6-386-40PM.html or http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GI … 86PM-VER-2.html, and is virtually identical to what you've pictured, but for the socket for a PGA132 CPU.

It *seems* like it's stable when running at full speed; that it's only unstable when slowed is a real mystery to me. Maybe the RAM isn't refreshed often enough and drops bits when it's slowed.

Maybe I should begin looking for another board. I have an M321 but the tag RAM for 128K cache is soldered on and I'm not too excited over the prospects of unsoldering it and putting in a socket for a new tag RAM so I can go to 256K, and I've yet another board that has a bad keyboard controller, or maybe just a bad connection to the motherboard (except that continuity checks seemed to work out).

Last edited by AlaricD on 2018-06-26, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 3 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, if your board works with the SXL at full speed, at least you've managed to do one better than me. Mine is unstable at any speed. It's rather unfortunate, because the board seems to offer all features I want. It works perfectly fine with an intel 386 (even with a DMA SCSI controller), but once you plop in a DLC chip everything goes to hell. It's so weird, because the board has DLC written all over it.
I don't believe all OPTi 495 chipsets are bad, but I think these boards may have gotten a bad batch. I had another 495SX board with VLB slots that worked totally fine.

Did you try swapping out the AMI BIOS for a MR BIOS?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/icf36l68bw8kh7m … R-BIOS_v160.zip

I'm not sure about the M321. It's probably okay. I don't like PCchips 486 boards, but I once had a M396F 386SX board and it was pretty nice.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Well, if your board works with the SXL at full speed, at least you've managed to do one better than me.

So far seems OK. I might put the Cx486DLC-40 back in and see if the problem persists. If so, I have another SXL to try to see if it's just that one CPU.

Mine is unstable at any speed. It's rather unfortunate, because the board seems to offer all features I want. It works perfectly fine with an intel 386 (even with a DMA SCSI controller), but once you plop in a DLC chip everything goes to hell. It's so weird, because the board has DLC written all over it.

I should check Usenet archives to see how rampant the complaints are and if there are any solutions. (Probably you'd tried that, but I still gotta do it).

I don't believe all OPTi 495 chipsets are bad, but I think these boards may have gotten a bad batch. I had another 495SX board with VLB slots that worked totally fine.

There were some boards with difficulty with 16-bit DMA, but that *shouldn't* be an issue with mine at this point simply because I haven't installed an SB16 or anything yet.

Did you try swapping out the AMI BIOS for a MR BIOS?

No, but I'll certainly try! I've got a friend with an EEPROM burner so he could probably crank out one for me.
Downloaded the file--- thanks!

I'm not sure about the M321. It's probably okay. I don't like PCchips 486 boards, but I once had a M396F 386SX board and it was pretty nice.

It was decent but for the difficult to swap tag RAM and the HDMA issue. But I might try that out again to see how the SXL works in it; I might try to upgrade the tag RAM if it seems stable. At least the cache it does have is real, unlike that spate of "WRITE BACK" 486 boards...

Reply 5 of 5, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I've never been able to get mine working in this board. It says it supports DLC type CPUs, but they just make the board incredibly unstable, and no amount of tweaking can make it work.

I noticed more and more and got aggravated more and more how unstable it was, even at full speed. Win98 was terrible due to graphical glitches (even with 'hardware acceleration' all the way off. The mouse was a freaky square instead of a traditional pointer. Decided to go back to another board 386 but it has a bad RAM slot.

Now I'm working with a HOT-541 v2.5 which has been running really great.

Guess this thread is done!