VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After my Octek Fox blew a cap and I replaced the caps, some ISA slots on the board are a bit wonky. To figure out what might be the error (wrong/low voltage, noise on the signal lines, ...?) I am wondering if there is something like a test card?
Might be active, or maybe only passive, with points to attach a meter or scope. So not a POST card, but something which tests the bus.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 2, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if you can make a adapter from card edge to pins so you can hook up logic analyzer and/or a oscilloscope.
Otherwise its not that hard to find ISA post cards.
Edit: quick search revealed that ISA Bus monitor exists so i think it is more suitable for diagnosing.

Reply 2 of 2, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. Indeed reengine has a post about an ISA bus sniffer:

https://www.reenigne.org/blog/isa-bus-sniffer/

However maybe I rather need an edge connector to pin converter, to attach a logic analyzer. I even have a cheap one lying around somewhere. If it can resolve the speed of the ISA bus is another question.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC