VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just like the subject says, I am curious if anyone has had issues with warped mainboards or add in cards.

I have recently gotten a 5160 IBM system and the memory expander and video card (both full length ISA cards, have a noticeable warp to them. Also the system board looks as if one of the plastic anchors didn't get installed correctly, so the board now has a warp about a quarter of an inch on the left side. I could imagine the traces not taking to well to this, but the system seems to work okay despite this.

Just wanted to here other peoples experiences with warped boards and reliability.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long boards have a pretty good tendency to warp if not supported correctly.

My bought new from the store Voodoo 5 5500 is pretty warped and it still works fine. Part of the warping is due to me installing large socket 7 heatsinks on it shortly after I got it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Traces expand with heat and shrink with cold, so they won't care much about some warping of the pcb. I have some Mac PPC CPU cards which are heavily bent due to their heatsink, but they still work fine.

Reply 3 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've an old dual socket 771 board that, despite the bracing support of the CEK spring and backplate, has warped around the CPU1 socket to such an extent that the board only recognises a processor in this socket when a heatsink is installed and fully loaded (probably overloaded TBH). Could've caused a slight pin mis-alignment or solder joint / trace problem, but strangely no stability problems.