VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As if there weren't enough reasons to hate IRQ/DMA/PORT stuff...

I am trying to get all my cards to play nice with each other but they simply refuse to stay the way I set them.

I clear my BIOS by removing the battery and putting it back in place. Then I go to the Peripherals section in my BIOS and disable everything I don't absolutely need. Then I format my hard drive. Then I install DOS. Then the first thing I do is install sound drivers in DOS. It works. My cards are all set up not to use the same resources. At this point, I put Win95 on and that's when everything goes to hell. Whatever Win95 does to manage I/O addresses, it's putting something else at 220 so that my sound card doesn't work anymore. What's worse, when I go back to DOS, even though it worked before, it's broken now and requires a BIOS reset. Somehow the ESCD/BIOS is saving the mistakes that Windows is making and perpetuating it in a way that I cannot alter. I don't even know what's being put there to block my sound card but there's something there.

Since I've wasted hundreds of hours on this machine, either due to anomalous CPU scores or resource problems, I'd be immensely appreciative if someone could help me skip to the end and get this thing to behave properly. Is there a way to brute force resources where you want them? Why is the computer ignoring the jumpers on my ISA cards? I clearly set the sound card to use 220H so why is it putting something else there? None of my other cards' jumpers conflict with that port. The stupid BIOS doesn't have any way to dictate that a card or resource should be fixed. It just has this useless PNP or legacy ISA setting for each IRQ/DMA channel which does nothing once it's broken. I don't even really know what to ask for in terms of help so maybe someone who has a lot of experience screwing around with old socket 5/7 boards can just tell me what they do to prevent this, when they have a lot of isa/pci cards in the same system. Sorry, I'm just really tired an pissed off at having beaten on this thing for so many weeks, going on months now with almost no progress to show for it and I don't like whining online every time I hit a wall so consider this my consolidated temper tantrum for the month.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 3, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember dealing with similar issues back in the 90's where I would want specific settings assigned and sometimes it was hard to get the system to do what you wanted.

I know there is typically an PnP OS installed question. Might set that to NO, or even YES, just to see if one option works better. Is the sound card you have jumperless and need the CTCM software?

Maybe try a fresh CMOS battery or check the jumper that clears the CMOS settings and make sure the jumper fits snuggly over the correct pins and is not loose?

If resources that are on PCI cards are conflicting, try swapping cards into different slots. Sometimes that might help as well

Reply 2 of 3, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowlytech wrote:
I remember dealing with similar issues back in the 90's where I would want specific settings assigned and sometimes it was hard […]
Show full quote

I remember dealing with similar issues back in the 90's where I would want specific settings assigned and sometimes it was hard to get the system to do what you wanted.

I know there is typically an PnP OS installed question. Might set that to NO, or even YES, just to see if one option works better. Is the sound card you have jumperless and need the CTCM software?

Maybe try a fresh CMOS battery or check the jumper that clears the CMOS settings and make sure the jumper fits snuggly over the correct pins and is not loose?

If resources that are on PCI cards are conflicting, try swapping cards into different slots. Sometimes that might help as well

I've noticed the behaviour tends to be different in different slots - still problematic - but different. My cards all have jumpers and I thought that setting them would everride everything else so I'm not sure why changing the slot has an effect at all. I only have 3 ISA slots and 3 cards so I can do the merry-go-round 1 more time to see what that does but it's so time consuming to re-install windows and so far I have found that once it gets in a foul mood with resource conflicts, it's too far gone to salvage.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 3 of 3, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the motherboard manual to see whether the motherboard has certain resources assigned by default to a particular slot.

I have a Socket 370 board that works that way and it limits what kind of card you can put in which slot.