VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I recently transplanted an HP motherboard into an aftermarket case to get better airflow.

However, the HP motherboard only has 4-pin fan headers. All of my fans are 3-pin.

Also, it appears that the 4-pin motherboard fan header is proprietary to HP as the notch is not in the normal spot. Therefore, I cannot install my 3-pin fans to the motherboard header.

I searched on eBay for a simple 4-pin to 3-pin adapter, but I couldn't find any.

I could just use a molex connector for the fans, but the computer gives me a warning at startup that no chassis fan is detected. I then have to press F1 to boot. It will boot, but this is very annoying.

Any suggestions on either how to fit the normal 3-pin fan to the proprietary HP motherboard fan header, or is there a way to disable the warning about no chassis fan at startup so that the computer will just boot normally?

Thanks.

Attachments

• fan header.jpg
    Filename
    fan header.jpg
    File size
    76.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Motherboard Fan Header
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 4-pin fan.jpg
    Filename
    4-pin fan.jpg
    File size
    49.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    4-Pin Fan
    File license
  • 3-pin fan.jpg
    Filename
    3-pin fan.jpg
    File size
    56.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    3-Pin Fan
    File license

Reply 1 of 1, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On your first pic of the HP motherboard 4-pin fan header the assignments, from left to right are:

1.Sense (yellow) 2.+12V (red) 3. GND (black) 4. Control (green)

This link shows it in more detail and how to mod for standard 4-pin PWM fans- for standard 3-pin fans you want to connect to header pins 1, 2 & 3 and may have to cut away the locating lug in line with the black GND wire on the fan header.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page7.html