VOGONS

First post, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure how far I'll take this, but I'd welcome any initial comments or suggestions.

The other day I came across a storage box with all my old EISA cards from an old Viglen 486DX/33 desktop system I had in the early 90's and am having thoughts of a retro rebuild. Sadly I no longer have the original mainboard (a Mylex MNE486) and a quick look online suggests that similar replacements are both scarce and pricey.

Seen a few reasonable Compaq boards that may fit the bill, but am slightly concerned they may be too tied to other Compaq kit such as PSUs (some of the boards look to have 5+7 power pins rather than 6+6).

So, any thoughts on what boards are worth looking for or whether anyone has experience with using separate Compaq EISA mainboards.

Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2018-06-27, 03:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I highly recommend either the MCCI /Nice SuperEISA, or the Tyan S1437. Both can accept 1MB of cache and 256MB of DRAM using sixteen 30-pin SIMMs, and are based on the SiS 411 EISA chipset. I have a small preference for the SuperEISA, as I feel that the build quality is slightly better, plus I had to do a soldering job on the Tyan board to get 1MB of cache to work with 300mil wide SRAMs. The advantage of the Tyan is that it has two VLB slots rather than the one on the SuperEISA, and it uses tag RAMs that are much easier to find, especially if you want 12ns.

The Tyan board is relatively rare. I've only seen two for sale in the last 12 years. The SuperEISA is relatively common for an EISA board, and there is currently one on eBay, though I think it costs $140. I think these days it might be difficult to get an EISA board for less than $100.

I also have some experience with EISA boards based on OPTi chipsets. These seem to work fine, but generally support less cache and memory. They're also a bit slower than the SiS chipsets. I've also seen a VIA based board floating around on eBay, but I have no idea what it's like. I believe it started life as the Symphony EISA chipset, but VIA bought out Symphony and gave it a new name. I only have one ISA board based on a Symphony chipset, and it's decent.

The Intel based EISA boards are supposedly the best ones to have if you want to run 50MHz, as they have an advanced cache design. I have no experience with these either, but they don't appear to be very common (I've never seen one for sale). They are probably also somehwat feature limited, as I believe they tend to be older. The first revisions of the chipset were also buggy.

There is one other board that is pretty good, and is also based on the SiS chipset. It's made by A.I.R. I think it's called the 486EI. This was also one of the more common ones. Unlike the other two I mentioned, this one can only accept *just* 512kb cache, but it CAN accept 256MB in 72-pin SIMMs, which are easier to get. It's also somewhat unique in being the only EISA board that can accept 3.3V CPUs (only in the final revision). Sadly, it does not support write back L1 cache.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the pointers on these boards though they're all a bit steep for my limited budget and some don't ship to my locale (wish I'd held on to the Mylex now as well as the cards, but it was sold along with its original Viglen case - pic attached, though not mine). I'll keep looking for something more local though in my price range.

vigleneisa.jpg
Filename
vigleneisa.jpg
File size
15.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's going to be pretty hard to get something cheap on ebay. You can always try asking on the vcfed forums. Some of the older guys have lots of crap sitting around and don't mind letting it go cheaply.

Reply 4 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am I missing something or wouldn't anything with a 16bit isa slot work?
Quick google doesn't seem to suggest the Mylex MNE486 was anything overly fancy
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MY … stem-Board.html

If you can find the compaq part numbers that will help. Even if the power supply is standard you needed a special disk to access bios. Most are still available once you can find out what PC it came out of, but would still want to know for sure before purchasing the board

Reply 5 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EISA is 32-bit, not 16-bit. The fact that it had EISA slots made it fancy.

Reply 6 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Mylex MAE486 with a 33 Mhz CPU that was really really slow for some reason. It was slightly faster than a 386DX, but a lot slower than any other 486DX/33 I have. Can't say if it had something to do with the cache chips or because the CPU was one of the early ones from the 80's or if the motherboard was just useless.

Reply 7 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to get fancy get a 486 EISA +VLB board. EISA for UWSCSI and 10/100 Ethernet and VLB for a decent 2 or 4MB video card plus you can use a good ISA sound card.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 10, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are right with the Compaq boards. Do not go for one of these boards, try to look for a complete system. The Deskpro /M and Deskpro /XL were quite common a while back. As others mentioned before look for a EISA/VLB board if you want decend video, because EISA graphic cards are really hard to find. Most EISA cards available are SCSI controllers with and without cache or RAID and 10 Mbit ethernet cards. the 100 Mbit cards are rare, but you can try to find some FDDI boards if you really need fast network. I was running an ASUS VL/EISA 486 SV1 for quite some time and it performed well.

Reply 9 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was lucky enough to get a 3com 5 pack box of 10/100 EISA ethernet cards (OEM maybe with one set of install disks).

The most common EISA video card is that 1MB one Compaq used.

VLB video cards are the only decent ones for non PCI 486 systems.

There are VLB Ethernet cards (should be some on ebay now) from a couple manufacturers.

The EISA+VLB combo is the best 486 setup you can find.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software