VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Really confused by this one.

I've got Windows 98 on C:\, and trying to install DOS 6.22 on D:\.

However I can't get any floppies to behave properly as boot disks.

I can format one in W98, but it seems to have W98 tags or something, as on booting it starts 'starting Windows 98' then presents A:\.

Typing Setup invites me to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the system to begin install, but upon doing this it just presents A:\ again.

I've tried creating a bootable CD image of disk 1 using ISOWorkshop on my Windows 10 laptop; but what seems to happen is it only produces basic files to make the CD bootable, and, even though it insists it has done, it doesn't copy over the actual files from my Disk 1 image. It's really weird - like Windows 10 reports one thing, and Windows 98 another.

The other strange thing is if I used this CD to boot into DOS, B:\ is the floppy drive, A:\ is CD-ROM, and C:\ and D:\ aren't available. And B:\ shouldn't be possible, as it's disabled in BIOS.

Can anyone help?

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why don't you try booting from the original DOS 6.22 disk 1?

But just for the record: what you're trying to do will kill your Windows 98 install. MS-DOS 6.22 does not care about other operation systems. It will install itself to C: anyhow. While you can choose where to install the DOS files, this won't change its affection to put the system files on C:.

You need to install DOS first, then Windows 98.

Reply 2 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gladders wrote:

I've got Windows 98 on C:\, and trying to install DOS 6.22 on D:\.

First of all - why? Do you want to run Windows 3.11 under that DOS 6.22? Other than that, I cannot think of practical use cases to have DOS 6.22 when you already have Windows 98.

gladders wrote:

I can format one in W98, but it seems to have W98 tags or something, as on booting it starts 'starting Windows 98' then presents A:\.

It is a proper bootdisk, just a Windows 98 one. When you make a bootable floppy using Windows 98 utilities, it puts Windows 98 boot files on it, not DOS 6.22 boot files. Hence the "Starting Windows 98".

The boot component of Windows 98, after all, is just a newer version of DOS.

derSammler wrote:

That does sound like the correct solution.

derSammler wrote:

But just for the record: what you're trying to do will kill your Windows 98 install. MS-DOS 6.22 does not care about other operation systems. It will install itself to C: anyhow. While you can choose where to install the DOS files, this won't change its affection to put the system files on C:.

If you complete the DOS 6.22 setup, then yes. However, assuming that the bootable disk 1 of DOS 6.22 has SYS.COM, and you run SYS D: from it, won't it actually only alter the boot sector of D:? Of course you still have to somehow boot from it, since it's probably not a primary partition.

derSammler wrote:

Once again, you are right - that's the proper order of things. However it should be possible to restore the Win9x boot files after DOS6 has corrupted them, by booting from the Win98 install CD and running SYS. You will need to save the DOS6 IO/MSDOS.SYS as IO/MSDOS.DOS or something like this, and maybe something else.

However, going back to the beginning - it is highly unlikely that there is any practical need to install DOS 6.22 at all.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 5, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I thought this was clear from what I posted - I tried to make it bootable, but it reports non system disk or boot error.

Unless you mean, do I have official Microsoft disks? No, I don't.

Fair enough, I'll install 98 on D, then.

Reply 4 of 5, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

First of all - why? Do you want to run Windows 3.11 under that DOS 6.22? Other than that, I cannot think of practical use cases to have DOS 6.22 when you already have Windows 98.

Why not? Nostalgia. I had Windows 3.1 at school.

It is a proper bootdisk, just a Windows 98 one. When you make a bootable floppy using Windows 98 utilities, it puts Windows 98 boot files on it, not DOS 6.22 boot files. Hence the "Starting Windows 98".

The boot component of Windows 98, after all, is just a newer version of DOS.

This isn't very helpful. I know it's a proper boot disk, but it won't let me run the Setup for some reason.

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No ones mentioned it yet but you also have the problem of dos 6.22 not supporting Fat32

Just to make sure your off to the right start, with your Win98 boot disk
run fdisk, if it asks if you want to enable large disk support (fat32) select No.
delete any existing partitions
Create a Primary Partition, Max will be 2GB but can be less if you want (this will be C:\ and where dos installs)
Set the partition as active.
Create the extended partition, let it use the rest of the drive.
If you want another Fat16 Drive available to dos, create a logical drive. (This will be d:\)

Exit fdisk.
Enter fdisk and this time select yes to enable large disk support (fat32)
Now you can create partitions (logical drives) larger then 2GB but they will only show in WIn98 not DOS.

Now that your hard drive is set up correctly install Dos to c:\
Install Windows to d:\ (or e:\ if you created a 2nd fat16 drive)