l33t

Hello, Do I need to cools 486 ?
Do I need to cool 486dx2-33mhz ?
486dx2-33mhz ?
486dx2-50mhz ?
486dx2-60mhz ?
486dx4-100mhz ?
AMD DX4-100mhz ?

It is not easy to find heat sinks with fans.
Can I just use a heat sink ?
What is the best way to fasten a heatsink to a 486 ?
Some use 3M tape ?
Other use some sort of adhesive ?
Can I use a Pentium heat sink with fan and attach it with 3M tape or adhesive ?

Reply 1 of 19, by Karm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Depends / No/ No/ No/ No/ Yes/ Yes
- /Yes
Use Coolingpaste, plastic Clipps or 486 Coolers(a little rare)
I didn't use it
Normally you don't need to.
It could be possible, but I would not recommend it. (could heat up and lose their gluing capability, also the size would not be optimal)

I hope that helps 😉
Got an 486dx4 - 100Mhz Overdrive which comes with an heatsink and requires one.
Usually it is writen on the chip if a heatsink or a fan is required. (REQ ...)

Reply 2 of 19, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no such thing as a DX2-33 and I think you meant DX2-66.
Generally, I would install at least a heatsink on a DX2-66 and a fan & heatsink on a DX4-100 and higher (unless the chip comes with its own heatsink).
On my DX-33 I've installed a heatsink & fan but, this was purely to prolong the life of the CPU (back in the day, it wasn't required).

Reply 3 of 19, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 heatsinks have clips that hold the fan onto the CPU, with the heatsink sandwiched in place. I was looking for ages for suitable heatsinks, and bought 4 when they were listed for a realistic price.

I will use them on builds from 486DX33 up to 5x86-133 (which will be overclocked).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got something like a DX40 with the intention to use it's heatsink. That thing was glued on so tight I gave up and just used thermal tape and some random heatsink on my DX 120
It was probably fine but it made me nervous and had a fan blowing air over the heatsink as well. Over time I managed to find a clip on 486 CPU.

I agree with jesolo with when a heatsink or heatsink + fan is required. (as a minimum)

Reply 5 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know it is not required on every 486. I just put a heatsink and fan on all. Better safe than sorry.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any they of adhesive I can use to glue on the heat sink ?
I don’t think the clip on heat sinks are very reliable and tend to fall off easy.
I would like to just glue on a BIG FAT pentium heat sink with fan since I can’t use the clips from the pentium socket type.

Can I use J.B weld Extreme heat epoxy ?
https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat

Reply 7 of 19, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Is there any they of adhesive I can use to glue on the heat sink ? I don’t think the clip on heat sinks are very reliable and te […]
Show full quote

Is there any they of adhesive I can use to glue on the heat sink ?
I don’t think the clip on heat sinks are very reliable and tend to fall off easy.
I would like to just glue on a BIG FAT pentium heat sink with fan since I can’t use the clips from the pentium socket type.

Can I use J.B weld Extreme heat epoxy ?
https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-extremeheat

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/adhesive … dhesive-8329tcm

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 11 of 19, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Hello, Do I need to cools 486 ?

All 486s are requiring cooling. Only slowest models like 486SX-25 are too cool to work without heatsink and fan, but they will be very hot, and still may overheat in closed cases with a lot of cables. DX2-66 strongly requires at least heatsink, but a fan is recommended. Top models needs both heatsink and fan (it is even writed on AMD CPUs: "heatsink and fan req'd").

Intel486dx33 wrote:

Can I use a Pentium heat sink with fan and attach it with 3M tape or adhesive ?

It is possible to use Pentium coolers with 486. 😀 Use a 2.5 mm wide nylon screed to fix cooler. No thermal paste is need, but it is recommended.

Attachments

• 2018-06-29 18-46-02.JPG
    Filename
    2018-06-29 18-46-02.JPG
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 12 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SX/DX 5V don't need heatsinks
DX2 3.3V don't need heatsinks
DX2 5V need heatsinks
DX4 3.3 need heatsinks, fans were not a thing back in the day but adding one today won't hurt
DX4 5V (usually OD CPUs) need heatsinks and were meant to runwithout fans but fans would be a good idea on these.

There is also difference in heat output on different brands, Intel/IBM and AMD are usually cooler chips than Cyrix/TI. UMC U5S/U5D were the coolest chips of the lot as far as I'm aware.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 19, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never touched an SX25 when it has been on for one hour. Regarding the DX33 from Intel. I find that too hot to touch after 20 minutes. I know it is supposed to run without any cooling, yet I have put an active cooling on mine, as there is components like caps right next to the socket. The CPU might not die, though the board might stop working because of too much direct heat. It is actually not to shield the CPU that I run an active cooling. It is because I want to prolounge the life of the motherboard.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should be noted that operating temperatures for many old CPU end around 80-100 celcius.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 19, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

I have never touched an SX25 when it has been on for one hour.

I have. It was quite pleasant to the touch. To my surprise, SX33 felt quite a bit hotter, not dangerously so but I didn't feel like holding my finger on it for more than a few seconds. It was on a test bench, without any kind of case.

So I wouldn't like to use a DX50 or a DX2 without cooling. I also frown upon the size of the DX4 overdrive's factory heat sink (though I find it pretty).

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 16 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Intel/IBM and AMD are usually cooler chips than Cyrix/TI. UMC U5S/U5D were the coolest chips of the lot as far as I'm aware.

Aside from the IBM BL3, which was QFP only, IBM 486 CPUs were Cyrix chips.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Intel/IBM and AMD are usually cooler chips than Cyrix/TI. UMC U5S/U5D were the coolest chips of the lot as far as I'm aware.

Aside from the IBM BL3, which was QFP only, IBM 486 CPUs were Cyrix chips.

I'm not familiar with all their chips but this is an IBM 486 and it sure is an i486DX..

IBM_486_DX2-66.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A better image of that chip can be found here, http://chipdb.org/img-ibm-486dx2-66-03h4939-i … el-logo-671.htm

According to the surface printing, IBM may have manufactured some Intel 486DX CPUs, however these were still Intel designs. I wouldn't call them IBM CPUs though. Texas Instruments, SGS Thompson, and IBM all manufactured Cyrix designed CPUs with the Cyrix brand name on them, however I wouldn't refer to them as anything but Cyrix CPUs. There is a grey area whereby IBM, for example, manufactured Cyrix designed CPUs and put the IBM branding on them.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.