VOGONS

First post, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I chose this motherboard for a variety of reasons. VLB slots, CMOS replaced, WINbios, etc.

mobo1.jpg
Filename
mobo1.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

However, since booting up an using the thing, it appears to have a serious flaw. It kills any CMOS battery I have in it. After a day or so, the CMOS will drain well below 1.5v and the motherboard will lose all its settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the CMOS discharge pin, JP39 and it is set to pins 1 and 2 as normal. The motherboard in question is a V4S471/G Ver 9.0 or so I was told by the ebay seller. Online manuals seem to concur. Any tips for diagnosing this poor guy? I have included a close up of what appears to be corrosion on a diode and the AT keyboard port. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a soldering station and decent skills. If I need to desolder the battery terminal and clean it up, I am more than willing to do it in order to keep the board in the land of the living.

uhoh.jpg
Filename
uhoh.jpg
File size
619.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 1 of 10, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some CMOS batteries are designed to be recharged such as the cylindrical types often found on 386/early 486 motherboards.
You can't just install a lithium CR2032 non-rechargeable battery in its place.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 10, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That ^^ is spot on. Judging by the corrosion and the CR2032 holder patchwork, I say the motherboard originally had a barrel battery (and the circuitry to charge it). You can check for that with your DMM by powering up your board without a battery in place, there must be no voltage present on the holder contacts. If there is, this means your non-rechargeable battery is being charged, and you're lucky it died gracefully without spilling its guts on the board 😁

Usually there is a diode that can be removed in order to prevent charging, you'll need to poke around to find exactly which one is it. Anyway I recommend desoldering the battery holder and thoroughly neutralize the green goo (use vinegar, water, isopropyl alcohol), else in time it will eat your board.

Reply 3 of 10, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Correct you both are. Looks like I have work to do this weekend. I powered up the board on the bench and the battery terminal was pushing out 4.7v. As you said, I got really lucky that things did not get explosive. I will get the terminal out and clean the board up. As far as Diodes go, I can see two on the board near the battery and neither show continuity with the terminal. Is that a thing? Or should follow some traces to determine which one?

Reply 4 of 10, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is also a series resistor to limit the charging current, so the circuit could be as follows: (+5v)-----|>|------|===|-----(battery+)
Where the first thing is a diode and the second a resistor. You can remove either/both.

Reply 6 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I'd suggest getting the battery off the board altogether. Three AAA rechargeables in a separate battery holder are overkill in terms of capacity, but cheap, easy and deliver the correct voltage. Just solder in two pins where the CR-2032-holder is currently located and put the batteries somewhere else (preferably below the motherboard so if they ever do leak, the board is safe).

Reply 7 of 10, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I added a non-rechargeable Lithium 3.6V AA battery to my 286 the other day. Just put a small diode in series with it (polarity!) to stop the mainboard from charging it, and you're done.

I documented it on video:

https://youtu.be/seCoC2AcHqs

You can velcro the whole contraption inside your case. Maybe even put it in a small 3D printed enclosure, to keep it safe from shorting out or to protect against possible leakage, which I doubt is a problem with the lithium batteries.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 10, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I desoldered a single pin of D4 on the left side of the board after tracing the negative line that way... The cmos recharge voltage dropped from 4.7v to ~1.4v. Am I heading in the right direction? Should the cmos voltage drop to 0?

Reply 9 of 10, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote:

There is also a series resistor to limit the charging current, so the circuit could be as follows: (+5v)-----|>|------|===|-----(battery+)
Where the first thing is a diode and the second a resistor. You can remove either/both.

I believe I have found the resistor and the diode. I removed both and the battery terminals now read -2.7v when the board is on. Is this what I should be seeing?

EDIT: pretty sure it is not. I checked another board which gets ~0v when powered on.... More research needed.

Reply 10 of 10, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done this mod on two or three motherboards, and as far as I remember the voltage was pretty close to zero after removing the charging diode. Reading a negative voltage doesn't seem right to me, but maybe there is a -5/-12V trace nearby and you're picking leakage from that. You can also check if there's a charging current at the battery terminals using your DMM on the (milli)ampere range. Before modding, my boards had a charging current of around 4 or 8 mA, cannot remember exactly. Was 0 uA after removing the diode.