VOGONS

First post, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my P4T533 I am using a P4 2.53 Northwood and 512MB of 32bit RDRAM with win98se. I see in the BIOS that I can set the CPU speed at Manual, 1900, or 2533. It changes the FSB between 100 and 133 with a multiplier of 19. Since I'm using win98 I don't really need a lot of horsepower from the cpu so is it better to run the chip at 1900 to reduce heat and power usage, I don't really see any difference in performance either way but common sense tells me it will last longer underclocked. You guys think thats right or am I wrong?

Reply 1 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Power Usage is only reduced if you reduce vcore too.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 6, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Power Usage is only reduced if you reduce vcore too.

Power usage is reduced by downclocking also, just not as much as when undervolting. The CPU only uses the amount of power that it needs to run, and if the clock speed is lower, so is the power usage.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 3 of 6, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I guess maybe I'm more interested in prolonging the life of the board and cpu as opposed to saving on power usage. Does it make any sense to run the fsb slower or is it pointless? Anything else I might do?

Reply 4 of 6, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ole smoky2 wrote:

Well, I guess maybe I'm more interested in prolonging the life of the board and cpu as opposed to saving on power usage. Does it make any sense to run the fsb slower or is it pointless? Anything else I might do?

I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU, they very rarely fail, and if it does die it's not the end of the world since P4 chips can be had almost for free. The board is a bit more collectable, and reducing the stress on VRM circuitry might prolong its life a little bit but considering it has worked fine without underclocking for 15 years, I don't see much of a reason it would quit working anyday soon if the capacitors are doing ok. Undervolting the CPU would still be the best bet in prolonging the life of the board, and it wouldn't even necessarily mean underclocking the CPU.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're concerned about long-term stability, make sure everything runs as coolly as possible - and the most relevant bit of "everything" here is the active components on the motherboard, particularly the northbridge and voltage regulators. Good case airflow (and a reasonably cool environment) is the best thing you can do to keep everything running.