VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A friend of mine gave me this as a gift,because according to him it didnt work.
He said on DOS it works but when windows starts.. it gives a black screen.
Since it didn´t work, he took the heatsink and fan off to use it on another card, and gave it to me as a gift for free.

The card is a voodoo3 , the evilking model i belive.

a) I dont see broken traces,
b) The 2 capacitors look really bad and might need to be replaced
c) There is a missing component near one of the memory chips, does anyone know if that is a capacitor smd or a resistor smd?
The only way to know its value is to remove one of the others that are sill on the card and measure it with a multimeter?

Full image of the card
image.jpg

capacitors in really bad shape
image.jpg

missing part
image.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C15 would be a capacitor. Its value is probably the same as C19. If you remove it, you can measure its value with a multimeter or LCR meter. Not all multimeters measure capacitance though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 10, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, sorry for reusing this thread, but two days back I got my poor voodoo (apparently V3 2000), it was cheap, but in sad condition, missing bracket and heatsink. I managed to mostly clean that gunk on the chip (although it was hard like stone), but i noticed that one little SMD something (capacitor?) left bottom to the 3dfx chip is a bit loose. It's labeled a C51. The left one (C50) is OK, whereas the right one (C51) is lifted - so it's legs are broken? I don't know if the capacitor can be repaired by somehow solder it back to it's place, but i assume not.
Is it possible to try the card without soldering (with some heatsink of course), or is it better to replace the capacitor first?
I don't want to riun my mpv3 board, because I have no other replacement. What surprised me, that simillar boards have a "round" capacitor in it's place (see http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/vlask/3dfx/v3200agpfb.jpg ), or does it mean that it was replaced?

DSC03323.JPG
Filename
DSC03323.JPG
File size
599.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC03325.JPG
Filename
DSC03325.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yea broken leg. replace it

regarding original topic:

i bought a capacitor reader on amazon some time ago,because my multimeter did not come with capacitance meter. they are very cheap and i have used them on electrolitic capacitors. Not sure if it will work on yours because that smd has no polarity, and those readers sold on amazon have positive and negative.

Reply 5 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:

Have you at least tested that card yourself? Missing bypass capacitor should not cause such issues, but if you insist, just reduce cards clock freq. down to 100MHz or lower to test whether cap is the cause (caps value should be standard 100nF). It's more likely that you need to reflow either GPU or memory connections.

Reply 6 of 10, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:
Pabloz wrote:

Have you at least tested that card yourself? Missing bypass capacitor should not cause such issues, but if you insist, just reduce cards clock freq. down to 100MHz or lower to test whether cap is the cause (caps value should be standard 100nF). It's more likely that you need to reflow either GPU or memory connections.

not tested yet because i wanted to replace everything that is broken first.
besides there are only 3 components that looked bad.

so an smd capacitor with no polatiry can be replaced with one of these 61Rj5xm4nwL._SL1100_.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:

on DOS it works but when windows starts.. it gives a black screen.

It is highly unlikely that the issue is due to a missing decoupling capacitor. Does it look like the missing capacitor was de-soldered, or that there never was a capacitor there from the onset?

I agree that the issue is probably due to a soldered component which has become separated with time or flexing of the card. My bet is on the BGA soldered GPU. You might try getting two slabs of rubber, perhaps 1/8" to 3/8" in thickness. Place them on either side of the GPU and use a c-clamp to press the GPU harder onto the PCB. Don't use too much force. Start out low, then slowly increase every reboot to see if you can get it working. If it works, then the issue is the GPU not making contact, in which case, it should be reflowed. If it still doesn't work, then you have gained very little knowledge.

Also, what are the conditions which lead to the failure? Did you friend say it used to be working just fine, then it stopped working while still sitting in the same computer? Is it just the 3D aspect which doesn't work? Or 2D in Windows as well? Could you issue be driver related?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 10, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it had a capacitor, and looks it was ripped off

I removed another capacitor next to another memory and i was able to read it, its a 1500nf capacitor. I know many videocards from that era had 100nf caps but this cap i took off is 1500nf.

Kind of sucks because i did not have a ceramic big capacitor that is from that rating,
spent like an hour checking other broken videocards and no luck, most caps were 100nf or 4000nf.

Reply 9 of 10, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no go

it boots and i see the DOS screen but instead of only white letters there are some colors inside the white that are of another color.
Like the letter "A" for example on the screen is partially white and a leg is from another color.

so that makes me belive there is a problem with the ram chips

are these eliteMT chips sold online? or there is any replacement?

i got my hands on soldering paste and hot air station, i wonder if they can be replaced.

Reply 10 of 10, by mcobit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course you can replace them if you can find them.
If it is your first time soldering with hot air, practice on another board first. Also shield other components with capton tape and aluminium foil.
Also use flux!