VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a Micronics M54Pi Socket motherboard. Grabbed the latest BIOS from ELHVB (n21) and it's 'manual', also using the entry on TH99.

Been playing with this board, but I cannot get it to go faster than 100Mhz, or at the very least, the POST screen never reads faster than 100Mhz. I'm not particularly bothered by this, but I don't want to miss out either, as I have tried both a 150Mhz pentium and a proper 133 once I found it. I have not yet tried chkcpu to see what it is really doing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 2, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are only two pins on the CPU that set FSB multiplier, even if motherboard doesn't support multiplier settings via jumpers, you can wire "mod" CPU pins or socket itself. It means that all socket 5 and 7 motherboads could accept and work with every P1 released.

Reply 2 of 2, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm probably not going to do anything that crazy. I already have 2 HX Socket 7 boards (one of which has been confirmed to run stably with a k6-2 and III directly in the socket) and a Super Socket 7 mATX boards.

Maybe I am just used to playing with the 286-486 boards, but this Socket 5 boards seems abnormally snappy, even compared to the aforementioned Socket 7 K6 monstrosity. It actually has for known jumpers for adjust boards speed. One is a host bus divided by two, (50 or 66), and 3 others, which more than one combination gives me 100 Mhz, so I am going to put CHKCPU on the drive and test it, as some boards from the era won't actually report anything faster than a set speed, regardless of how fast it is actually going.

EDIT: BOOM, got it. 36 open, 37 open, 38 closed. (I actually got it to read 161 with one of the settings.)