VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this is something I'm sure has doomed more than one of my retro PC builds.

Sometimes, odd behavior is just due to overheating.

So like.... what all can I do for something intended (partially) to boot into Windows 98, to make sure it runs as cool as possible?

Are fans my only option, or are there add-ons and hacks for heatsinks and such that work for comps this old?

Reply 2 of 14, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on what processor you use... redo the thermal paste, clean the heatsink + fan(s), etc. Replace fans with modern, quieter, faster ones.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep thinking about getting something like these (although more likely cheap ebay ones) as old cases only extract heat via the PSU.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pi-01b … -ca-327-ll.html

Other then that oeuvre's suggestions are what I would go with. maybe strategically place a fan or 2 over hotter components to increase air flow over them.

Reply 4 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have free slots, you can use one (or more) of those fans than fit in a slot and exhaust air via the I/O bracket.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16835888309

(Beware though, I think these can damage neighboring PCI cards. I had a PCI graphics card fail shortly after being installed next to one.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Totally depends on the hardware in question. Generally heat is bad, airflow is necessary, heatsink surface area is good, and the bigger the fans the better (not only more air but also quieter). But more specifically it differs according to the exact components.

Reply 7 of 14, by TheeRaccoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something I came up with a while back (: Use an expansion slot cover with a steel screw or any other screw that matches your cases thread pitch for the standoff hole. After that, you can mount a properly sized fan on it like this with zip ties. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Reply 8 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think any of my cases have a cover on them. They just get in the way. Upon noticing the absurdity, I stacked up all my loose case covers and stuck them in storage somewhere.

If I'm just building a PC for myself, then I usually just prop up an 80mm or larger fan next to the cards I'm worried about (if any). I would do this with valuable cards like ISA Sound Blasters, but try to do it in such a way that you aren't adding vibration to the components in the system. A little airflow does a lot - for most things that don't dissipate a lot of heat you don't need a powerful fan, just moving the air makes a big difference from no fan at all.
With video cards, often you can improve the cooling on the card itself using aftermarket coolers or rigging a fan on them (popular idea with Voodoo3s).
With more modern video cards and motherboards that support variable speed fans, you can use tools like Speedfan to override the fan behavior to your preference. I think manufacturers tend to hold back their fans until temperatures have gotten too high, so I like to change this.

On my modern PC, I use a GTX285 which runs hotter than I'd like, especially in the summer.
I found a powerful 120mm Nidec fan at a Goodwill which calls for 24V, but will still spin with 12V. It's metal and heavy enough to stand up by itself.
For flexibility I soldered a TX3 connector on it, but then made an adapter to go from that to a barrel connector. I use a 24V wall wart to power it at full speed. It's loud so I just plug it in when in a game. Not very "professional" but it works. I have the fan sitting on an old box of checks (remember those?) just outside the case, so nothing in the case picks up vibration from it.

It would help more if the GTX285 had an exposed heatsink, but all air has to go through the card's own fan. Still, blowing wind across the card's intake fan keeps it's air at room temperature, which has lowered the GPU temp by 5C.

Attachments

• IMG_6966.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6966.JPG
    File size
    232.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 14, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dos9 wrote:

If you have a empty 5.25 bay, this could be helpful.
8><CUT
I just wish there was beige/white version of this.

>>
>>
There once was some version in white with two fans, sold under the name Matrix MX-HDD-F2

blue02a.jpg
Filename
blue02a.jpg
File size
55.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A couple of years ago I bought some from a webshop that was dumping them.

Reply 10 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Global WIN King Kong II which is similar but with a silver/metal front. Can't find anything about it on the internet though. It appears to have disappeared without trace. (The King Kong III is completely different.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheeRaccoon wrote:

Something I came up with a while back (: Use an expansion slot cover with a steel screw or any other screw that matches your cases thread pitch for the standoff hole. After that, you can mount a properly sized fan on it like this with zip ties. Hope this helps!

That's pretty cool.(pun not intended)
I've seen people mount on the back of the case, never thought of using spare motherboard standoff's for a mid case fan though!