VOGONS

First post, by Paal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have an multi I/O card PT-604a. I'm having trouble getting the serial mouse to work with it. I have the Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.1a plugged into the serial port of the card, but it cannot recognize or won't find the mouse at all. I'm not sure of the motherboard manufacturer, but there is an AMI BIOS in this 486 computer.
I have attached this link so I have the layout of the card and the jumpers. The card works well with FDD and HDD and the drive active LED as well.
There are no markings near the jumpers to tell me if this is pin 1 and so on, so I'm not sure if I'm closing or opening the correct pins to configure the card.

I switched to this board from another I/O card that wouldn't let me use the serial port, but nothing has changed, so I guess there is some configuration problems here rather than defect card.

Help!

Reply 1 of 2, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this Windows 95?
DOS?
If it's DOS, what are you using as a mouse driver?
I usually use the ctmouse driver loaded in the autoexec.bat but your mouse may need a different driver.

You say you have the hard drive and floppy working, so those jumpers are set correctly.
According to your stason.org link

Hard drive enabled JP1 Pins 1 & 2 closed
Floppy drive enabled JP3 Pins 1 & 2 closed

So check JP1 and JP3 for which side is pin 1.

Reply 2 of 2, by Paal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:
Is this Windows 95? DOS? If it's DOS, what are you using as a mouse driver? I usually use the ctmouse driver loaded in the autoe […]
Show full quote

Is this Windows 95?
DOS?
If it's DOS, what are you using as a mouse driver?
I usually use the ctmouse driver loaded in the autoexec.bat but your mouse may need a different driver.

You say you have the hard drive and floppy working, so those jumpers are set correctly.
According to your stason.org link

Hard drive enabled JP1 Pins 1 & 2 closed
Floppy drive enabled JP3 Pins 1 & 2 closed

So check JP1 and JP3 for which side is pin 1.

This is DOS and I have Win 3.11 as well. I have tried the regular mouse.com file that should support most mices including Microsoft mices. I've also tried the ctmouse driver, but I'm not sure if I have installed it correctly.
Since JP1 and JP3 works, with Pins 1 & 2 closed, I have set the JP2 through JP8 with Pins 1 & 2 closed. If you look at the layout of the card, I have the jumpers set exactly the same way.