VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was given an old Trident Vesa Local bus videocard
when i boot using different monitors and different motherboards, the only thing i see is a mesage saying OUT OF SCAN RANGE

can it be repaired or goes to trash?
i searched online and most of that error is when windows xp loads, but in this case there is no windows, its just Plain DOS without a hard drive.

Reply 2 of 12, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cga.8086 wrote:

when i boot using different monitors and different motherboards, the only thing i see is a mesage saying OUT OF SCAN RANGE

Sounds like monitor issues to me. Are you using modern LCD/TFT (flatsctreen) monitors?
The out of range, is why I can't use most flatscreen monitors on my Amiga scandoubler. The output is a 50hz signal.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 12, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have gotten that with VLB cards when they're not making good contact with the slots on the motherboard - clean both the contacts on the card and the pins on the slots with alcohol and test several times. Also check the card PCB under a strong light and magnifying glass to see if there are any severed traces.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cga.8086 wrote:

when i boot using different monitors and different motherboards, the only thing i see is a mesage saying OUT OF SCAN RANGE.

Do you have any other monitors you could try? CRT if possible.
Older cards often used a wide range of refresh rates that LCD monitor can't handle.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 5 of 12, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i did clean the contacts with an eraser, but no luck

and i tried the card on 2 monitors, one was crt and anotherone Lcd
and 2 motherboards.

i can´t figure out why, maybe the gpu is dead, its a trident vesa card.

Reply 6 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cga.8086 wrote:
i did clean the contacts with an eraser, but no luck […]
Show full quote

i did clean the contacts with an eraser, but no luck

and i tried the card on 2 monitors, one was crt and anotherone Lcd
and 2 motherboards.

i can´t figure out why, maybe the gpu is dead, its a trident vesa card.

That doesn't sound good. Did you get any visible output at all on the CRT?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 10 of 12, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had this problem with a PCI video card i bought off ebay not working. Problem ended up being the 14.31818 Mhz Crystal. Soldered one in from a doner card and solved the issue

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^A clocking issue. Reminds me of http://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-isa-osc-mystery/

Personally, I often do my experiments with LCD/TFT VGA "monitors" that come with an additional Composite input.

That way, I make sure that they can handle 15KHz and/or other weird timings.

Likewise, LCD/TFT TVs with VGA are interesting.
They are more flexible in most situations.

A real CRT VGA monitor is best, of course.
It can handle various resolutions "natively".
"Natively" because it technically also has a native resolution, based on dot-pitch, screen mask and so on.

By comparison, a monochrome CRT monitor comes closer to not having a native resolution due to the absence of a screen mask.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by s.mouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm an interesting read, definitely something to keep in mind if we experience these issues in the future. I had tried various LCD and CRT monitors on the card i was speaking of. Unfortunately don’t own an oscilloscope nor used one. Just done the old trial and error when I has some spare time - started with the electrolytic capacitors which tested fine after 25 years. Then moved on to the crystal oscillator mainly due to how easy it was to swap and knew it had something to do with frequencies. Was pretty happy to bring something dead back to life