VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need help getting this Gateway Aries motherboard to work.
When I hook it up I get no power.
The motherboard does not appear to be powered on.
I don't know which switch is for power on.
I am using a PSU adapter with an ATX power supply.
I tried several adapter and still no power on.
No beeps, nothing.
It's a 486 mobo made by Micronics for Gateway computer company.

Baby-AT PCI ("Aries" BAT4IP3 or BAT4IP3E)
P/N MBDPCI003AxWW 4.04.07, 4.04.5, 4.04.C Type 3 zif.

Attachments

• Filename
    FAQ_ Solving the Gateway _ Anigma 486 Enigma.pdf
    File size
    180.29 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 005.jpg
    Filename
    005.jpg
    File size
    140.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 003.jpg
    Filename
    003.jpg
    File size
    105.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 002.jpg
    Filename
    002.jpg
    File size
    389.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I even tried one of these connectors with a P8/P9/and P10 connector as the mobo requires it.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    14.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just ordered this one for $8
I will try this one with a power switch.
http://www.circotech.com/atx-to-at-power-supply-adaptor.html

Attachments

• 41VOPMg06tL.jpg
    Filename
    41VOPMg06tL.jpg
    File size
    27.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 9, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would start by removing every thing that is removable. All ram sticks, the cache chips, even the com port headers. Every damn thing. Then I’d try starting it with only one stick of ram in the first slot. Try all sticks like this if it fails. You should not need the P10 connector which gives extra power to the PCI cards if you install many of them.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 5 of 9, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a BAT4IP3E with a 10/26/94 build sticker on it. It has the PS/2 style connectors on a 420ex baby AT motherboard.

Board wouldn't beep until I tried a vanilla 486DX 33. Didn't like my other chips.

Once I got it to beep, it only gave the 1-3-4-1 phoenix mem error code until I put simms in both slot 0 and slot 1.

Once it booted, it complains that it needs a new dallas realtime.

Going to see if I can get an AMD-x5-133ADW to run once I get the new clock battery and build heatsink.

I'm going to see if I can make a socket 3 heatsink "retainer" out of rectangular stainless orthodontic wire that's available on ebay for cheap these days. =)

I didn't need to use the P5 connector PCI power connector to get it to boot with a Diamond Stealth 64, but I am lucky enought ohave an old 400 watt ATX enermax with a P5 cable on it if I ever need it.

Reply 6 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote:
I have a BAT4IP3E with a 10/26/94 build sticker on it. It has the PS/2 style connectors on a 420ex baby AT motherboard. […]
Show full quote

I have a BAT4IP3E with a 10/26/94 build sticker on it. It has the PS/2 style connectors on a 420ex baby AT motherboard.

Board wouldn't beep until I tried a vanilla 486DX 33. Didn't like my other chips.

Once I got it to beep, it only gave the 1-3-4-1 phoenix mem error code until I put simms in both slot 0 and slot 1.

Once it booted, it complains that it needs a new dallas realtime.

Going to see if I can get an AMD-x5-133ADW to run once I get the new clock battery and build heatsink.

I'm going to see if I can make a socket 3 heatsink "retainer" out of rectangular stainless orthodontic wire that's available on ebay for cheap these days. =)

I didn't need to use the P5 connector PCI power connector to get it to boot with a Diamond Stealth 64, but I am lucky enought ohave an old 400 watt ATX enermax with a P5 cable on it if I ever need it.

Do you have any info on this motherboard jumpers and connections ?
Where is the power switch ?

Reply 7 of 9, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since it's an AT motherboard, the power switch would be in the power supply, no?

I've learned that the part number is MBDPCI003AxWW and the model is "Gateway 2000 Anigma BAT4IP3"

Many of the important jumpers are silk screened on the board on mine. I'll post picture tomorrow if that would help.

Reply 8 of 9, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the answer is in the picture you linked the green and black cables with the prongs for the power button need to be connected together