VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't figure it out, its a newcastle 3400, it idles at 57C and any workload causes it to do a thermal shutdown, I've gone so far as to place the 125W Wrath Max cooler on it, and temps don't improve, im starting to think its an IHS problem, can the IHS on newcastle be removed?

Reply 1 of 6, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before removing it you could check it's perfectly flat - if not, it can be made flat with sandpaper and a flat surface. Same goes for the cooler, its surface may not be flat enough to make good contact

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, you can remove IHS with a razor, but be careful with multiple SMDs near the edges. Most likely thermal paste under IHS gone bad. Common problem even after just few years, and it was never expected to last for 10+.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
okenido wrote:

Before removing it you could check it's perfectly flat - if not, it can be made flat with sandpaper and a flat surface. Same goes for the cooler, its surface may not be flat enough to make good contact

I know the cooler is fine, it used to cool my Ryzen, now it's primary duty is to cool my Opty 180 and it does a great job, I also tested it on a new castle 3000 which it does fine on also, and the cooler on the 3400 that i was using was an original boxed cooler that i tested on my opty 180 just to be sure it keeps my opty 180 cool should be able to keep this 3400 fine, ill take the IHS off tonight.

Reply 4 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I don't like there being bird shit thermal compound instead of an metal alloy on most modern procs, if you are daring you could go direct die but good luck if you do. Got a 754 build put away that is direct die with a zalman cnps7000 as the cooler.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

This is why I don't like there being bird shit thermal compound instead of an metal alloy on most modern procs, if you are daring you could go direct die but good luck if you do. Got a 754 build put away that is direct die with a zalman cnps7000 as the cooler.

Not a big fan myself I might use my artic thermal adhesive on it

Reply 6 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using an Opteron 185 and found that I needed something with heat pipes to properly cool this chip. Does your cooler have heat pipes?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.