VOGONS

Reply 40 of 53, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd be tempted to put a PAS (if I had one) in my 386. The PAS16 is interesting from a historical perspective, but I'm not sure that I would be able to use it much.

That is what I originally installed in my 386. Well, originally, it was a Jazz 16 but the card was so noisy that that lasted about two minutes before I yanked it. I used the PAS16 for awhile before replacing it with some unknown (I think - my memory might just be shit) Yamaha OPL3 from one of those Russian sellers. 😁 I always wanted a PAS16 when they were new. 😀

Reply 42 of 53, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

The Jazz16 doesn't hiss in my experience but the few that I tried (Media Vision Jazz 16 - anyone use one of these?) weren't great at anything - they're not PAS16 compatible!

D'oh. My Jazz16 was so noisy. I might have to follow that thread. 😀 Though it's now third or fourth in line on almost all my builds, with better cards in front. Thanks for the link though!

Reply 44 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might just go with a MV_PAS16 and a MV_Memphis sound card with speakers.
Does anyone know where I can get these programs for the PAS16 ?

Pocket CD
Pocket Mixer
Pocket recorder

These are suppose to be included with Memphis install disks.

Attachments

Reply 45 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am going to use a NICE beige AT case and add this Logo to the side of the case.

Am I going to use a PAS16 card and what other cards do you think I should use ?
I also want to use a SCSI CDROM drive.
Will any SCSI CDROM drive work ?

Attachments

Reply 46 of 53, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes most any SCSI cdrom should work. The PAS16 uses passive termination and you should use a passive terminator on end of the scsi cable if you have issues reading with a cdrom that uses active term (and disable cd's term).

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 47 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote:

Yes most any SCSI cdrom should work. The PAS16 uses passive termination and you should use a passive terminator on end of the scsi cable if you have issues reading with a cdrom that uses active term (and disable cd's term).

What SCSI ID should i use for the CD-ROM drive ?

Reply 48 of 53, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ID1 as a start. You may have to experiment and try ID5 if not found. One thing: the old trantor scsi interface was not designed for much faster than a 4x cdrom. The list of supported drives as of Jan 1992 TSLCDR.SYS (v1.2?) is:
Chinon CDS-431. Hitachi CDR-3650. NEC CDR-80, CDR-82, CDR-83. Sony CDU-541. Texel DM-3020, DM-3021.Toshiba XM-3201B.
Newer versions of the driver supported many more cdroms.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 51 of 53, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fire_lizard wrote on 2024-03-01, 10:48:

Do you still have floppies or CDs for PAS16 installation?
I would enjoy if we had it here in Vogons Drivers directory.

Yes the drivers are in the library. Which PAS16 do you have (aka the model # 650-00XX ) am just curious...
there never was a driver CD release for PAS16's it all was on floppies...