VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone have any tips / things they have done to manage KVM Cables? Putting in a couple 4 Port KVMs in different areaa. Even with only 4 cables, you still have the thick KVM Cable (Video / Mouse / Keyboard) coming out of th KVM, going to the wall and then below the counter and then run to the PC, as well as the NIC Cable coming from a switch mounted under the counter, plus Power Cable and Audio Cable. Can be a mess in a hurry....looking for some good DIY tips to make it look as clean as possible.

Coming off the KVM back to the wall and then behind and under the counter there isnt much I can do, the cables are gonna be there, But once underneath and joining the others becomes a mess.

I am asking as I tried a clean setup of an 8 Port KVM and it became a wiring hell underneath the table where the PCs were sitting....

Reply 1 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use mesh wrap around each kvm bundle (dvi, USB, audio, mic, power, lan) then run it to a designated part of the desk and zip tie the slack to the back underside of desk

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do the same, only I use cable ties and group them with audio, power, lan.
Benefit of cable ties is you can undo them quickly and reuse. (plus they are free once you start saving them)

Its still looks like a bowel of spaghetti but at least finding the correct cable for the correct system is easier.

Reply 3 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

I do the same, only I use cable ties and group them with audio, power, lan.
Benefit of cable ties is you can undo them quickly and reuse. (plus they are free once you start saving them)

Its still looks like a bowel of spaghetti but at least finding the correct cable for the correct system is easier.

labels man, i put a label on each of my bundles that says 1 2 3 and 4 so i know which input 🤣

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KVM's discussed here don't support any kind of remote feature. just allow you to use the 1 keyboard, mouse and screen on multiple systems.
I suppose any KVM that has a remote feature and ps2 support would be fine though as its looking after the remote side of things. the PC just thinks its normal devices plugged into it.
Refresh rates would be pretty bad for gaming but for general tasks it would be ok.

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EZFlyer wrote:

Do you know what model I should look for for remote? I didn’t find anything suitable the last time I looked.