VOGONS

MSI MS-4144 ver 2.1 manual and BIOS help

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 60, by Aerion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes - unfortunately only without testing the mice. I had measured the differences in memory access between AMI and AWARD with Speedsys...

Niemand ist nutzlos, er kann immer noch als schlechtes Beispiel dienen...

Reply 42 of 60, by Aerion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I wanted to test the Cyrix 5x86-100GP. I use this settings:

Cyrix_5x86-100GP.jpg
Filename
Cyrix_5x86-100GP.jpg
File size
58.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The computer hangs in the POST screen after HDD detection... Further tests showed that the BIOS of the Intel Pro 1000 GT network card did not start. The same effect is also with the UM8810P-AIO. Without this network card, the board starts everything normally. I am frustrated...

Niemand ist nutzlos, er kann immer noch als schlechtes Beispiel dienen...

Reply 43 of 60, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have an idea: is it possible to figure out how the circuit of cpu voltage jumpers(jcv3 and jcv4) work so we can use more levels of voltage? currently there are only 3 levels: 3.45v, 3.8/4.0v(dunno which is correct) and 5.0v.
also, what does the "factory reserved" jm1 and jv1 do? can anyone figure out from the circuit?
i have a guessing that jv1 probably controls the bios rom voltage(eprom/flashrom)...

Reply 44 of 60, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-22, 21:06:

I don't have the manual scanned, but there are jumper settings online. I only have a little bit of the manual scanned by someone else. It was a pretty poor scan job. Attached.

Attaches is also the BIOS with PS/2 support enabled.

Would you like to scan the whole manual so I can put it to our project ? 😀 The Retro Web project - a better stason.org/TH99 alternative

Also if anyone can make a good photo of their board, I can add it too 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 45 of 60, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone have jumper settings specific to the Am5x86-133 for this motherboard? I can't seem to get one of these chips stable on this motherboard, and I can't find any entry in the manual for it... regardless of how I set it up (cyrix 586 or intel dx4 WB jumper settings) it will boot and runt some benchmarks but won't run quake and will hang when attempting to load windows...

Reply 47 of 60, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2020-07-16, 20:18:

Anyone have jumper settings specific to the Am5x86-133 for this motherboard? I can't seem to get one of these chips stable on this motherboard, and I can't find any entry in the manual for it... regardless of how I set it up (cyrix 586 or intel dx4 WB jumper settings) it will boot and runt some benchmarks but won't run quake and will hang when attempting to load windows...

just use p24d jumper setting, but set jc8 to 2-3.
as for bios, i suggest to disable "ide buffered write"(or something like this), enabling this option causes my system to fail any write access to the disk, and dos would give a disk errror after a long time.
since you are running at 33fsb, there should not be much problem with ram and cache, except that you should set dram speed to "faster".

Reply 48 of 60, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote on 2020-07-17, 04:03:
just use p24d jumper setting, but set jc8 to 2-3. as for bios, i suggest to disable "ide buffered write"(or something like this) […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2020-07-16, 20:18:

just use p24d jumper setting, but set jc8 to 2-3.
as for bios, i suggest to disable "ide buffered write"(or something like this), enabling this option causes my system to fail any write access to the disk, and dos would give a disk errror after a long time.
since you are running at 33fsb, there should not be much problem with ram and cache, except that you should set dram speed to "faster".

wouldn't that set cache to WT? I'll give it a shot since the p24c setting i've been trying don't seem to work. Oh, I should mention my board has the AMI GUI bios. And thanks for the reply!

Reply 49 of 60, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2020-07-19, 08:36:

wouldn't that set cache to WT? I'll give it a shot since the p24c setting i've been trying don't seem to work. Oh, I should mention my board has the AMI GUI bios. And thanks for the reply!

i've confirmed it to work, jc8 sets 3x/4x ratio for amd486dx4 with 16k wb cache.
its jc7 that sets wb cache to wt, which is also the same pin that sets 2x/3x ratio for amd486dx4 with wt cache.
i am also using the ami bios that it came with. i am not sure if using award bios would give any advantage.
i also have a few concerns on swapping bios:
1. did the board come with eprom or flashrom?
2. does the bios socket support writing flashrom?
3. is there any jumper that toggles voltage for eprom and flashrom?

Reply 50 of 60, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have ver 2.1 of this board and I'm having some trouble with it. I found it without its BIOS chip.

I successfully found a replacement eeprom chip and flashed it with the P/S2 modified BIOS. It boots into bios just fine (with its familiar Awards logo at the top), but once it completes it boot cycle and searches for a drive, I just get a black screen. No response. Computer remains running with no video output. It detects my gotek and CF card in the setup. I get a printout of 'CF drive' right before it completes its boot. I used the auto detect function in setup menu and it recognizes the CF card as being a 1998mb drive (its a 2gb card ). And I believe it detects the gotek as a 1.44 floppy in the setup menu (no printout in the boot cycle though).

I'm using a AM5x86133 with 32mb FPM ram. It detects the 5x86 chip and printouts out its label and clockspeed on boot up.
I get fine output with either a PCI or ISA video card.

Reply 52 of 60, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are about the 5th person to ask me this. As such, I will provide photos in a new thread, Adding native PS/2 mouse components to your MSI MS-4144 motherboard

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 54 of 60, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-09-03, 23:12:

Anyone know if this board or one of its derivatives supports a 60 or 66MHz FSB?

Ok I have to ask. You want a 486 PCI board that has a 66Mhz bus ? I do not think I have ever had or seen one that does above 50Mhz but am sure there could be some, would take some extra stuff to divide the CPU to PCI, RAM, Cache and ISA.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 55 of 60, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-09-04, 02:51:

Ok I have to ask. You want a 486 PCI board that has a 66Mhz bus ? I do not think I have ever had or seen one that does above 50Mhz but am sure there could be some, would take some extra stuff to divide the CPU to PCI, RAM, Cache and ISA.....

Yes that is correct, there are a few socket 3 boards that unofficially support those bus speeds. Can be used to overclock Cyrix and AMD 586 CPU’s. Curious if this board does as well. You would think it would as it has more jumpers to configure FSB than any other socket 3 board I know 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 56 of 60, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2022-09-04, 02:56:
Horun wrote on 2022-09-04, 02:51:

Yes that is correct, there are a few socket 3 boards that unofficially support those bus speeds. Can be used to overclock Cyrix and AMD 586 CPU’s. Curious if this board does as well. You would think it would as it has more jumpers to configure FSB than any other socket 3 board I know 🤣.

Wow it does have a CPU/2 for PCI. As long as the ISA is then divided off PCI (appears so from the datasheets) and both North and South can run at 60 or 66Mhz then all you need to change is the cache to like 10nS and the ram to 45nS or better if I read the 496/497 datasheet correctly. Trick is finding the board with that golden chipset that can run at 66Mhz.... just thinking out loud. 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 57 of 60, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Errr, we have been doing that for quite some time already. : )
There are 2-3 threads around here with plenty of info about that.
You are frequent visitor. A bit surprised that didnt notice them.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 58 of 60, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chadti99, I don't have the 60/66 Mhz option mentioned in my notes, so I probably didn't look for it. Test and let me know what you find.

Horun, I've been running my Biostar MB-8433UUD with a 66 Mhz FSB for almost a decade now. So far, only the 8433UUD has a working floppy controller at 66 MHz, but the Lucky Star LS486E rev. D is a good candidate as well provided if you don't care about a dysfunctional floppy controller.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 59 of 60, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did find a 16Mhz FSB option by jumping 7-8 and 9-10. Nothing over 50 so far though. It does appear that a jumper on either of these is required and controls the pci bus divider. 7-9 would be 1:1 and 9-10 would be 1:1/2. Why combining these two gives you 16MHz FSB doesn’t make sense to me.