VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How to change the volume serial number for Windows 95? I have tried VolumeID from Microsoft below, but it shows that it needs a new version of Windows.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals … nloads/volumeid

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.lifewire.com/find-your-windows-98 … ey-code-2625095

Note, Volume licence didn't exist for Win9x and more important Activation didn't exist till XP. so the key is just a form or copy protection it doenst get sent back to MS or anything so wouldn't really bother changing the key

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Note, Volume licence didn't exist for Win9x and more important Activation didn't exist till XP. so the key is just a form or copy protection it doenst get sent back to MS or anything so wouldn't really bother changing the key

Nothing to do with windows licensing but the disk volumes' numbers (you know, that number that shows up in dir)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 9, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WinSEr can change s/n of installed copies of Windows 9x. But it is available only in Russian language, so I'm attached a screenshot with all need:
Ключ field is the volume serial number (installation key), Идентификатор (ID) is the calculated key (that is showing in the System Properties dialog window under the user's name). To get the fields visible you need to open Настройки Windows>Регистрация Windows tab.

I don't know how the ID calculates, but you may install system with the need serial to any machine and copy the ID from it.

Attachments

• WinSEr key change.png
    Filename
    WinSEr key change.png
    File size
    16.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 6 of 9, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another way to change Installation Volume ID is to edit it directly in the registry:
1. Open RegEdit.
2. Open HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. The Volume ID (s/n) will be in the ProductId key. It is a raw serial number that enters at installation time.

To change Volume ID of a hard disk partition (FAT/FAT32), that's visible after DOS DIR command, use any hex editor that can work with raw disk data. In WinHex you need to select the partition, Alt+F12-Boot Sector FAT, then find by eyes the Volume Serial Number and edit it. Finally, don't forget to save changes and reboot the PC.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guys, this thread is about changing the hard drive volume ID, not serial number cracking for Windows 9x.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you would need to hex edit the volume to change the serial. I think I did that once decades ago...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper