VOGONS

Windows 98SE / ME Build with DOS..Maybe

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 70, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, MTRR registers are normally used to change how the system deals with memory mapped from a video card or other device. Hence why I though this blue screen could also be to do with the video card.

I can give reproducing your fault an attempt over the weekend. I don't have exactly the same hardware, but I have an nvidia 6200, a P-III 600, sound blaster live and a BX board to test it all with.

Edit: Surely you can pick up a geforce 4 mx pretty cheaply somewhere. They are the cockroaches of the AGP world.

Last edited by canthearu on 2018-08-30, 23:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 61 of 70, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you read this thread which discusses the shutdown problems the latest nVidia drivers have? If you're using the latest nVidia drivers, it may be relevant for solving the problems you're having.

Alternatively, you could try downgrading your drivers, I'd recommend reinstalling Windows first since the 81.98 drivers are difficult to uninstall. Try drivers in the 66.94-77.72 range to see if they're any better. Older nVidia drivers can be found in the VOGONS Vintage Driver Library.

Reply 62 of 70, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Canthearu for all the advice and trying to reproduce my fault ^^ I can' find geforce 4 graphics cards, but at the moment I can only connect to my monitor via DVI-HDMI adapter (both windows 98se and ME don't care)

KCompRoom2000- I have been looking around all over the place, even saw a threat on this site asking about the best Win9x GPU with many saying the 6800 would be perfect 😖 or an FX5800.
As for my 6200 I was using 77.72 drivers before but that didn't seam to work right 🙁 Wonder if DDU would work in safemode on win9X 🤣

I could give reinstalling Me a second go after i have tried removing some RAM around. If all else fails i really feel it will be the GPU that is causing all my issues.

Reply 63 of 70, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the delay.

I've been testing the following configuration:
Asus P2B-DS
2 x 400mhz Pentium II CPUs
256meg RAM
Nvidia 6200 512meg AGP
SB Live value card.
250gb Hard drive.
Richo DVD+RW drive.

Sadly this configuration is working perfectly for me and I can't reproduce any of the problems you have been experiencing. I have installed:

Windows ME
Liveware 3.0 drivers off this website
Nvidia forceware 77.72
Directx 9.0c
3dMark01
3dMark99 Max

Reply 64 of 70, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Auron359 wrote:

I could give reinstalling Me a second go after i have tried removing some RAM around. If all else fails i really feel it will be the GPU that is causing all my issues.

Gforce 6xxx drivers, especially the later ones, were not very cooperative with ME in some of my experiments. In your case I would buy a simple Gf2 card, for example like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-Nvidia-Geforce … XIAAOSw0cJbHq9K

if only to check if the board and ram is working properly. If you can get this card to work (ME probably has the driver for it on-board) you can move on and enter the ...ugghh... wonderful world of Gf 6 drivers on older systems.

Reply 65 of 70, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:
Sorry for the delay. […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the delay.

I've been testing the following configuration:
Asus P2B-DS
2 x 400mhz Pentium II CPUs
256meg RAM
Nvidia 6200 512meg AGP
SB Live value card.
250gb Hard drive.
Richo DVD+RW drive.

Sadly this configuration is working perfectly for me and I can't reproduce any of the problems you have been experiencing. I have installed:

Windows ME
Liveware 3.0 drivers off this website
Nvidia forceware 77.72
Directx 9.0c
3dMark01
3dMark99 Max

Well then I am at a loss, I actually got Windows ME running properly with no issues. Restarted it 6-7 times with no blue-screen and using 77.72 drivers the PC also shuts down properly to.
Sadly .. like before as soon as I installed some games and did a restart I got the same Blue-screen i posted before, it shows on every start up now.

Once again the games I installed were Age Of Empires II and its expansion, then I installed My teacher is an alien which requires a restart. Could it be a Directx error by any chance ? I ask because bother AOE and my teach is an alien installed Directx but i doubt its the same version so could be causing a conflict.
Sadly uninstalled all games still gives a blue screen 🙁

Reply 66 of 70, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-Sigh- Well I am hitting road block after road block, sadly finding a solution for my issue is hard than I thought as google only had helps for XP and up.
As in my last post I have everything working properly up to a point, if I can fix this blue screen the PC should be running perfectly but so far I have found nothing.

One issue I now have is that I can't install DirectX 9.0 of any version, If I try and run the program it asks me to select the location for extraction. Once extracted if I try and run the installer I just get an error with the following. "Setup cannot find necessary file for installation" Looking on google I can't find this error only a missing CAB file for Xp and up.

I thought maybe I should update window ME with offline updates and fixes to bring it "up to date" .. Didn't help 🙁
After looking everything over I can honestly say that if it is a hardware problem it has to be from the GPU as everything else seams to be working as it should be.

Reply 67 of 70, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, the Directx 9.0c install always worked ok for me.

My directx file is:

directx_oct2006_redist.exe - (58,260,800 bytes) - Version 6.0.2900.2180 - Signed ‎Friday, ‎6 ‎October ‎2006 7:32:58 AM

Have you got the same file?

Reply 68 of 70, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:
Strange, the Directx 9.0c install always worked ok for me. […]
Show full quote

Strange, the Directx 9.0c install always worked ok for me.

My directx file is:

directx_oct2006_redist.exe - (58,260,800 bytes) - Version 6.0.2900.2180 - Signed ‎Friday, ‎6 ‎October ‎2006 7:32:58 AM

Have you got the same file?

Actually not, in the files that came with all the ME updates it only had directx_nov2007_redist.exe Version 6.0.3790.0 And a 2008 version, none of them work.
I will try the 2006 version and see if that fixes the issue of not being able to install.

I wish more people had the game My Teacher is an alien because issue always seam to happen once i install it. Could make an ISO of it if people want to try it.

Reply 69 of 70, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded the game My teacher is an alien and tested this on my test system above.

I found the very old directx installer included in this game did cause the system start to bring up the blue screen regarding MTRR during startup.

My recommendations to fix this are:
a) install the msbackup software off the windows ME cd.
b) Before you install "My Teacher is an Alien", backup your system using msbackup.
c) Install "My Teacher is an Alien", then when it reboots, you will get the MTRR blue screen, press Y to continue.
d) Restore your C:\Windows directory to an alternative location. During this restore, you will be asked if you want to restore the registry and hardware config. Say yes to both.
e) Once this is complete, reboot the computer and the Blue screen will no longer occur. You can delete the alternative location that you restored c:\windows to to free up that space.
f) My Teacher is an Alien will still be installed and will work.

Note that this game is probably better to run on a windows 95 machine, probably won't break it like it breaks windows ME.

Reply 70 of 70, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:
I downloaded the game My teacher is an alien and tested this on my test system above. […]
Show full quote

I downloaded the game My teacher is an alien and tested this on my test system above.

I found the very old directx installer included in this game did cause the system start to bring up the blue screen regarding MTRR during startup.

My recommendations to fix this are:
a) install the msbackup software off the windows ME cd.
b) Before you install "My Teacher is an Alien", backup your system using msbackup.
c) Install "My Teacher is an Alien", then when it reboots, you will get the MTRR blue screen, press Y to continue.
d) Restore your C:\Windows directory to an alternative location. During this restore, you will be asked if you want to restore the registry and hardware config. Say yes to both.
e) Once this is complete, reboot the computer and the Blue screen will no longer occur. You can delete the alternative location that you restored c:\windows to to free up that space.
f) My Teacher is an Alien will still be installed and will work.

Note that this game is probably better to run on a windows 95 machine, probably won't break it like it breaks windows ME.

Wow thanks Canthearu for going through all this trouble to get my pc working properly.
Back in the day I had a windows 95-98 and ME PC, all of them played the game fine without an issue which is why I was so stumped over this blue screen.
How long did this take you to even find out a fix for it ? I had a suspicion it was the game or the DirectX but beyond that I would never have thought of a way to fix it like this.
It's a shame we can't just install the DiectX it needs on its own or something if that would fix the error considering how old the game is.