VOGONS

New 486dlc build problem.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 67, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edit: Oops! I didn't pay enough attention. The CPU rotation does look correct after all.

Last edited by AlaricD on 2018-07-17, 21:49. Edited 2 times in total.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 21 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for some reason my answers are not getting posted. my board has pads for jp7 but nothing soldered. the golden triangle i thought was to go to pin 1-a not 1-p because of the shape of the socket. it seems like it's pointing to pin 1-a

Reply 22 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I edited my original post and deleted it.

AlaricD: I believe the other side of the CPU is also 1 thru 14. The triangle points to matric location 1-A, which I believe is correct.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you look at the picture in one of my latest posts where the socket is unpopulated it has number 1 printed on both sides. i oriented the cpu to pin 1-a

Reply 25 of 67, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I knew about the FLT trick earlier.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 26 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can probably even bend back the QFP lead once or twice before it falls off if you think you want to go back to the onboard CPU. Another approach would be to use JB Weld to affix a jumper to connect and disconnect GND to the FLT# pin.

Reply 27 of 67, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I do not understand why your board contains a a PGA132 socket, yet no jumper to set FLT# to GND. My board was similar.

Unless installing a CPU in that socket then trips a relay to close the FLT#-to-GND.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 29 of 67, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
balthazor4ever wrote:

if i install the 486dlc in the socket then both cpus get warm and the 386 even gets really hot (a lot more than usual) after a few seconds.

Maybe you should try putting jumoers on your motherboard (particularly at JP7) and see if that doesn't help.

Reply 30 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I do not understand why your board contains a a PGA132 socket, yet no jumper to set FLT# to GND. My board was similar.

Unless installing a CPU in that socket then trips a relay to close the FLT#-to-GND.

I haven't come across such an advancement on these 386 boards.

balthazor4ever, are you able to set the FLT# pin to GND? It is not necessary to bend the QFP pin over as I did, you can merely solder a wire to the FLT# and the other end to GND. The other end can even be poked into the GND on the molex cable off the PSU.

Reply 32 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I attached an image to ensure you get the right pin.

Attachments

• Am386DX_FLT_pin.png
    Filename
    Am386DX_FLT_pin.png
    File size
    36.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 33 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

belated thanks for the tip feiopa, I hope the cpu on my Unichip 367C will be suitable 😀
any idea where #FLT is normally tied to? I assume VCC?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 35 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

belated thanks for the tip feiopa, I hope the cpu on my Unichip 367C will be suitable 😀
any idea where #FLT is normally tied to? I assume VCC?

That is a good question. If it is tied to directly Vcc then wiring it to GND will cause a short. In my recomendation to wire FLT# to GND, I am under the assumption that FLT# was left floating. You best ensure that FLT# is not connected to Vcc by using the continuity test function or resistance function on your multi-meter. I don't recall if my FLT# pin was connected to anything or not.

Edit: looking at the photos, it appears that FLT# on my board was indeed connected to Vcc. Not sure why they did that. Check yours.

Last edited by feipoa on 2018-07-19, 21:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah better lift+connecto to gnd rather than risk anything

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 38 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still unpacking some stuff in my new house and haven't found my soldering equipment. i'v tried tin foil to set jp 7, 9, 10, 11 but no luck. it might just be that tin foil isn't making enough contact so i'll have to find my soldering iron to check them again and the flt pin as well.