Reply 40 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

found these today
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=el& … D18511%26st%3D0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABIT-386DX-FA3-Mainb … ordt=true&rt=nc

could they be of help?
I'm thinking that I have another 386x board so I might try to desolder the 386 in this board and if it fails I have the other one to live with. 🤣

Reply 41 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will steal a little the topic for a little 😀 to comment on the 386DX disable pin feipoa revealed to us... ofcourse on my mobo it had to be in a hard to reach place , right next to the FPU socket. 🤣
That's why I decided to ground it on a nearby capacitor's GND connection rather than the pin next to #FLT , it will be easier to revert the mod in the future if needed since the working space between the cpu and the fpu socket is ~4.5mm 😵

45fGvHtl.jpg

wWmKkSsl.jpg

vWGx02rl.jpg

you can see the PGA132 space above the cpu - will solder it next and report back 😀

edit:
all fine

EkJdxizl.jpg

MpYxNPml.jpg

the onboard 386 still gets hot , I think I'll desolder it completely once I get a PGA version

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 42 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice work. Did you check to see if FLT# is connected to anything? I don't see any top layer trace connected to it. So if it was left unconnected, you probably don't need to desolder the pin and lift it up.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 43 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FLT# was connected to a pad with a trace that went under the CPU, I could not investigate further as the tight space did not help...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. I wonder if the trace went to a jumper header or a solder pad somewhere? Did you measure if FLT# was connected directly to Vcc, or perhaps to a resistor to Vcc? What is the resistance between FLT# and Vcc?

Reply 45 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it certainly does not connect directly to vcc or via a resistor.
I cannot measure - there is no space to work...!

Last edited by keropi on 2018-07-21, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not even enough space to stick a wire or probe on the FLT# pin and measure the resistance to Vcc? It probably has a 2, 5, or 10K pull-up resistor.

Reply 47 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

see above , there is no resistance between the pad and 5v
maybe it goes nowhere, maybe connecting it directly to GND without lifting would work fine but I was feeling so adventurous 🤣

Reply 48 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

it certainly does not connect directly to vcc or via a resistor.

Sorry, looks like I glanced over the "or via a resistor" part.

Reply 49 of 67, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah I added that later because I did measure when the pin was connected: no resistance between any voltage on the PSU plug

Reply 51 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to destroy the board 😁
now i wait for a hybrid 386/486 vl bus motherboard from ebay. Its model is 4D50L. it comes with a 486sx 33mhz, but i think I'll use the 486dlc 40 + iit 4c87dlc 40 combination. will i lose a lot of performance?

Reply 53 of 67, by balthazor4ever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you must like horror movies!! i just got rid of the 386dx cpu by cutting all its pins.... now the motherboard won't post and will definitely won't make any beep sound.... the 486dlc gets a bit warm but that's all... 🙁 it might be that some of those hardwired pins are preventing the dlc from being detected or that i did something horribly wrong.

Reply 56 of 67, by alexthekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone 😀 ! It has been almost 3 years since the last post in this thread. I have a similar problem and therefore I thought I should rather post it here than in a new thread.
My mainboard is a "Unichip 367C Rev 1.0" or "UNI-386WB". The following picture is from amoretro.de:

unichip_uni-386wb_386_dx_40_cache_motherboard.jpg
Filename
unichip_uni-386wb_386_dx_40_cache_motherboard.jpg
File size
793.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My board is the same model and revision. It has an Am386DX-40 Revision D -PQFP-CPU. My board also came without the PGA 132 socket. I soldered in a PGA 132 socket. This is my board, PGA132 soldered in, 486DLC plugged in:

my board.png
Filename
my board.png
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license

Without the 486DLC in the PGA 132 socket the board detects the 386DX CPU:

386DX.png
Filename
386DX.png
File size
710.21 KiB
Views
File license

The 386DX gets mildy warm and everything seems stable.

When I plug in the 486DLC the board detects a 486SX CPU (see screenshot):

486sx.png
Filename
486sx.png
File size
811.21 KiB
Views
File license

Now this is where the problems start: with the 486DLX plugged in, the board only boots sometimes. It takes a couple of tries (power on/ off).
In any case (whether it boots or not): The 386DX gets dangerously hot within seconds.

I did a quick measurement this morning. With the 486DLC plugged in I measured the 386DX FLT pin and it seems to be connected to GND (0 Ohms to mainboard power connector GND, mainboard off, AT- power-connector disconnected). I will repeat this tonight with more time, just to make sure that I didn't accidentally hit the adjacent GND-Pin. These tiny PQFP-Pins are hard to count with my vision 😉.

Keropi reported that his 386PQFP-CPU still got hot after the FLT-pin-mod.

So what should I do now? I dont really want to remove the 386DX entirely since Balthazor4ever destroyed his board that way.
Any ideas? At first I should probably repeat the measurement on pin 54 (FLT).

Reply 57 of 67, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless your mobo is somehow different than mine, the FLT on the PQFP 386DX is not connected to anything. I certainly do not have any "automatic" disabling with the PGA CPU installed - and frankly, how would that even work, there is no special signal for that on 132-pin PGA (unlike on the 486 PGA, to disable the on-board SX).

I had to do a mod, see that missing DIP14 space for different clock generator? There is a jumper, not populated, next to the two existing ones that set CPU clock frequency. It connects to the missing chip only so you can put a third jumper there, and wire one end to the FLT pin. The other end is already GND I think (can't remember now), if not then just make that connection too. Floated 386 still uses some power but not much, the reason it gets hot is being so close to the DLC which itself runs hot. Slap a small, quiet fan on the DLC and it will solve both of these issues (especially for 40MHz operation).

Surprisingly the DLC is usually able to over-power the PQFP 386DX and it kinda works even without the FLT being properly grounded but as you can see, only kinda. It will not be stable, not to mention bad for both CPU fighting.

One more thing, the only correct DLC cache setup that works in BIOS is to set A20 mask to enabled and flushing to BARB. A20M is connected, sort of, it's provided by the keyboard controller (and that's all it used for it seems, the actual gating is done inside chipset) so do not enable fast A20 gate option. If you set A20 mask to disabled BIOS will configure the CPU to not cache first 64k of each 1MB region, that's perfomance loss and the mask signal is connected after all. Nothing else is though so BARB is the only option (do remember to set RAM refresh to hidden). While it might seem like FLUSH works too, it's only because most of the time the small L1 is evicted before it has a chance to cause collision. But it can randomly corrupt CPU state. Well, if you are going to do FLT mod then you can also add hardware for FLUSH too - I plan on doing that.

Reply 58 of 67, by alexthekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I measuered again and yes, pin 54 (FLT) is not connected to GND directly. I must have accidentally hit the adjacent pin 55. I used a much finer probe this time.

So thank you Deunan. You saved my day again. 😀

And yes, you are also right, one pin of that (missing) jumper you mentioned (JP76) is already connected to GND.

I did a quick test. I connected pin 54(FLT) with pin 55 on the 386DX without disconnecting pin 54 from its pad. I simply put a small piece of copper wire between the pins and voilà:

IMG_20210604_222134.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210604_222134.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license

This time the board didn't detect a 486SX. It detected a Cx486DLC. Interesting.

Also, with the wire between pin 54 and 55 installed the 386DX doesn't get violenly hot anymore. It still gets warm but reasonably warm.

I think I will make that unused jumper (JP76) into an FLT ebable/disable jumper just as you suggested.... EDIT: Or maybe I am lazy and I will simply solder pin 54 and 55 together without disconnecting pin 54 from its pad. Thank you very much. I apply the suggested (bios) settings once the mod is done. 😀

Reply 59 of 67, by alexthekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. I modded the board as suggested by Deunan:

IMG_20210607_115441.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210607_115441.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20210607_115818.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210607_115818.jpg
File size
927 KiB
Views
File license

I installed a jumper for JP76. I connected the 386DX's pin 54 (FLT) to Pin 4 of the (missing) U99-IC. (The U99 CLK-generator-IC is missing in my board. It uses the CLK-generator in U35 instead.) Pin 4 of U99 has a trace to JP76. The other Pin of JP76 is connected to GND. JP76 is now te enable/disable-jumper for the 386DX.

@Deunan: You wrote that"...the only correct DLC cache setup that works in BIOS is to set A20 mask to enabled and flushing to BARB." By "set A20 mask to enabled" do you mean that I shoud set the Bios option "Cyrix A20M Pin" to enabled? :

IMG_20210607_120927.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210607_120927.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license