VOGONS

First post, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First id like to apologize if this isn't posted in the right area
I'm soon to get a IBM Thinkpad T42 with a Ati mobility radeon 7500
and im intending to install w98se on it to run older games which
brings me to my question all the videos i seen and forums iv read shows or talks about old fps games such as unreal and quake , quake 2 , quake 3 arena and a few dos fps games but im not really into fps and i want to play powerslide , dirt track racing "the first one" and my favorite leadfoot and also monster truck madness 2 would this laptop be able to play those or would i need to find one with a ati mobility radeon 9600 ?

Reply 1 of 3, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it sounds like you already have the laptop on the way to you, so why not just try it out? While waiting you can check out the system requirements of your games (e.g. on mobygames) and compare to what your laptop has to offer.

Also: Welcome to Vogons 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know much about the other games you've mentioned, but I can assure you that Monster Truck Madness 2 will definitely run on there. I've been able to run it maxed out on an ATI Radeon 7200/DDR video card without any issues whatsoever.

The only games I'd be cautious about are games that use 8-bit palletized textures as ATI Radeon video cards have little to no support for that feature, luckily only a few games used that feature and the ones that did are likely to support software rendering as a fallback option. Table fog can be enabled on any ATI Radeon video card with supported drivers (it works best on R100/7x00-series cards so you should be good to go).

Reply 3 of 3, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thats good to know about about MTM2 i only asked about the gpu because some games require direct x 8 im not sure if ati mobility radeon 7500 has support for it but i think the ati mobility 9600 does and heres the requirements for leadfoot
Windows 95/98/ME, PentiumII 266MHz, 32MB RAM, 250MB hard disk space, 4X or faster CD-ROM drive and mouse, 8MB Direct 3D compatible video card, DirectX 7.0 compatible sound card and video card (DirectX 8.0 included). A Steering wheel and pedals are highly recommended. if i know leadfoot will run then i know the others will to and i greatly appreciate the replies and esp that fog fix im sure im bound to need it at one point or another