VOGONS

First post, by LLugnuto779

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a good idea, but i am not sure of how well it would work, or if it would work at all

Pentium 3 xeons supposedly have unlocked multpliers, and slot 2 motherboards are very hard to find.
I wondered if it was possible to mod them (or make a right angle adapter card) for slot 1.
As far as i know, nobody has ever actually tried this. (probably because nobody cares, but i don't know)

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nearly impossible to mod due to difference in size, notches, slot pins, etc. Probably possible to design custom adapter, but that would require BIOS rewrite too. So good luck with that. Also it won't fit in any ATX case.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had those CPUs and never bothered to research if that's possible, but if PIII Xeon architecture is the same as of PII/PIII then it should be possible. Compare "pin-out" of both Xeon PIII and Coppermine PIII Slot1, if signal descriptions match - it can be converted directly, if not, some additional mods should be done.

BIOS mod shouldn't be a problem at all, you'd have to inject a 2 to 4 KB CPU uCode with hex editor and that's it.

Reply 3 of 6, by danijelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was thinking about this before some time, but i find some problems in pinout mismatch. Here's table with signals slot1 and slot2. Maybe someone have idea is this possible.

Attachments

• Filename
    SLOT1_2.7z
    File size
    31.59 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language

Reply 4 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Making a slot interposer is likely to be the easy part however Slot 2 Xeons often need two discrete VRMs, one to power the cpu core itself and the other to power the external cache for those that have it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it can be done, slot 2 xeons are basically nothing more than PIIs or PIIIs with extra cache (some are even with the same amount of cache). It seems that slot 1 to slot 2 adapters exists:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/318

Slot 2 to slot 1 could be done, power requirement might be a problem, as nforce4max said, but they could also be solved by attaching a molex connector to the adapter and converting 5 and or 12 V to the required voltage for the cache.

However, the fact that such an adapter doesn't seem to exist might indicate that there might be some other problems. Or there would be too expensive. Or there wouldn't be a demand for such product. Back then (in 98-99) a Xeon CPU was very expensive, and it was used in servers in dual/quad configurations. Pairing such an expensive CPU with a mainstream single slot 1 board didn't made sense back then. But now it would be fun to try.