VOGONS

Toshiba Satellite Hard Drive?

Topic actions

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot find the right hard drive fit for the Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop, as the item I purchased has no hard drive.

Reply 3 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And is just what you'd expect to see.

It's a nominal 44-pins...43 actual pins / holes plus one missing / blank orientation pin / hole (bottom row, just left of centre) - a standard drive will fit fine.

Reply 4 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This type of hard drive is not 44-pin, correct? As it has 4 extra pins in its bottom left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1997-IBM-2-5 … 3080MB-E182115-

Reply 5 of 23, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The link doesn't work, but a lot of drives have those extra 4 pins, which you can just ignore

This is a better solution that works great for my toshiba of the same era, an SD to IDE adapter and an 8gb SD card:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253358575521

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 6 of 23, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Though, if there is a jumper present on those four extra pins, it should be removed before installing the drive, as it would imply the drive is not set to IDE device 0 (master).

Reply 8 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oohms wrote:

The link doesn't work, but a lot of drives have those extra 4 pins, which you can just ignore

This is a better solution that works great for my toshiba of the same era, an SD to IDE adapter and an 8gb SD card:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253358575521

How do you know it is 8 GB? How do you manage to triple boot your Core 2 Duo E4600 with three operating systems?

Reply 9 of 23, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote:

How do you know it is 8 GB? How do you manage to triple boot your Core 2 Duo E4600 with three operating systems?

I used an 8gb SD card in the toshiba

I also use the regular 40 pin version with my other 2 pcs and swap SD cards to change OS, so one SD card for each OS and a secondary drive to store games etc.. it works really well!

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 10 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am consider to buy this MK2103MAV, 2.5" hard drive, but I am not sure if it has 44 pins in it, as I search for other MK2103MAV, they have the pins extra beside it. Is the 4 pin extra removable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-2167MB-2-1GB … Disk-Drive-HDD/

Reply 11 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As has been mentioned above, you don't need to worry about these (non-removable) 'extra' 4 pins - they are only there to allow for correct Master / Slave / Cable Select configuration.

If you look at the image you posted earlier of the laptop drive interface...

44-Pin IDC.jpg
Filename
44-Pin IDC.jpg
File size
78.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...the 4 pins will sit out of the way, somewhere inside the red circle - they aren't designed to be connected, just jumpered if required.

Reply 12 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
As has been mentioned above, you don't need to worry about these (non-removable) 'extra' 4 pins - they are only there to allow f […]
Show full quote

As has been mentioned above, you don't need to worry about these (non-removable) 'extra' 4 pins - they are only there to allow for correct Master / Slave / Cable Select configuration.

If you look at the image you posted earlier of the laptop drive interface...

44-Pin IDC.jpg

...the 4 pins will sit out of the way, somewhere inside the red circle - they aren't designed to be connected, just jumpered if required.

Do you have Toshiba Satellite laptop as well? I bought a 2.5" hard drive earlier, but it could not detect the hard drive. I bought this, and it has those extra pins. It felt very tight when I try to push the hard drive into the slot:

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/VINTAGE-TOSHIBA-M … 872.m2749.l2649

Reply 13 of 23, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Satellite 400CDT at home. I'm reasonably sure the HDD looks just like that.

But, yeah, I find it much easier to use a CF adapter. I tried a couple of newer 2.5 drives with some of my other laptops and it was kind of a pain.

Reply 14 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

I have a Satellite 400CDT at home. I'm reasonably sure the HDD looks just like that.

But, yeah, I find it much easier to use a CF adapter. I tried a couple of newer 2.5 drives with some of my other laptops and it was kind of a pain.

Pain when you pull it out because of the tightness?

A site here, says the official model could be MK1403MAV.

hwmuseum.pp.ua/laptop/1917.html&filter[1]=29

Reply 15 of 23, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote:

Pain when you pull it out because of the tightness?

A site here, says the official model could be MK1403MAV.

hwmuseum.pp.ua/laptop/1917.html&filter[1]=29

Well, let's not take that out of context...

No, it was a pain because the machines would just refuse to detect some of the drives even though they worked perfectly fine via an USB/IDE interface. I don't know that they were hard to remove or fit too snug.

I can check on that original drive in the 400CDT when I get home tonight, but that one looks about right.
Are you hell bent on getting the original HDD for yours? If not, I'd just get the CF adapter...

Reply 16 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote:

Do you have Toshiba Satellite laptop as well?

No I don't, but the 44-pin IDE interface is a widely recognised standard across numerous platforms.

Not sure why that drive you bought isn't recognised as physically it looks OK, so maybe it's a bios limitation. According to this spec sheet (the 220CDS & 225CDS are basically the same thing)

https://usermanual.com/document/7986/toshiba- … cification.html

it ships with a drive of approximately the size of the MK1403MAV, like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOSHIBA-MK1403MAV- … .m4383.l4275.c4

As for the one you bought being a tight fit, a few things are worth noting. These drives tend to be snug fits when installed in laptops (you want to minimise movement between the drive and the interface / drive cage) but in your case maybe the one you bought is too thick to fit (sometimes referred to as the Z-height) and really isn't designed for your laptop. The other thing I noticed was what looks like a piece of sticky label caught on the drive cage (upper right corner of your picture) and which looks somewhat similar to the number label (31515077) in the picture the seller posted. Maybe this happened when you inserted / removed the drive, so try removing it just in case it was stopping the drive fully seating on the connector.

Reply 18 of 23, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'd normally get it from the manufacturers website or thru a product spec sheet but for such old drives these can be hard to track down so, based on the Ebay pics, I'll take an educated guess!

The first one you bought looks as if it could have a Z-height of either 17 or 19mm. The one I linked, which you've now ordered, looks more like either 12.5 or 15mm. Most modern-day drives are either 7 or 9.5mm. Generally speaking, the higher the drive capacity / physical drive platter count, the greater the Z-height. Check this link for details

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/op/formIn25-c.html

Also, not sure if this will be much help but I stumbled across this file online, which seems to be the self-extracting manual application for the 220CDS / 225CDS

Filename
220guide.exe
File size
3.25 MiB
Downloads
33 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a hard drive that fits, MK1403MAV. Now I inserted a Windows 95 floppy boot disk, it shows repeatedly:

'Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready...'

Also, a weird buzz sound. Is this error any of you get?