Toshiba Satellite Hard Drive?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Muz wrote:
I bought a hard drive that fits, MK1403MAV. Now I inserted a Windows 95 floppy boot disk, it shows repeatedly: […]
Show full quote

I bought a hard drive that fits, MK1403MAV. Now I inserted a Windows 95 floppy boot disk, it shows repeatedly:

'Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready...'

Also, a weird buzz sound. Is this error any of you get?

Please elaborate. Do you notice any FDD activity before you get the "Insert system disk in drive. ..."? Probably the BIOS will let you change the boot order to have the floppy ("A:") drive first, if it's not already set as such?

Old HDDs tend to make a continuous buzz when on (due to ball bearings). Possibly this noise is normal behaviour and nothing "weird".

Reply 22 of 23, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might just be a bad disk? That's probably the sound of your drive failing to read the disk.

Did the drive give you any trouble before?

I would try a couple of different disks. I only recently realized that the largest part of my floppies had gone bad over the span of a year or so. Oh, and you should use a newer version of F-Disk, for instance from a win98 boot disk.

Reply 23 of 23, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have installed Windows 98 in it. The OPL3 FM sounds nice in it. However, how to install sound whenever you boot into DOS mode?

The laptop detects the battery, but whenever I plug it off, it turns off. I have ordered a new battery to see whether the problem comes from the battery.