VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only pins on the turbochip is a dx/sx setting, I was curious about this and downloaded the pdf instruction and weird nothing about the sx/dx pins. But about 4 pages on how to safely remove the old cpu.

I set the pin on DX, however now im thiking Maybye try SX.
But 116 is a weird number if it was on 3x multiplier I think should show 99mhz exactly like the dx4 overdrive.

I read a thread a while ago about some guy that was trying to oc a old 486 board and was also stuck at some odd mhz reading.

Unless it is a total coincidence and a 586 running at 116 mhz gets exactly the same score as a dx4 running 99mhz. As you say about the readings being correct.

Anyhow I will be on the hunt for a 80mhz crystal as yeah apparently the 586 are very overclockable.

Reply 23 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then I guess everything is running normally. It's weird that the Turbochip doesn't have a clkmul jumper. It must be the only one that lacks this feature.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 24 of 24, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here is a pic of the amd if you are curious. (there is 1pin only and its sx/dx currently on dx mode)
also I added another 16 meg 30 pin ram now giving me a total of 32mb ram and suddenly my overall speed score doubled! however since we determined that particular app is not accurate I am not fully relying on it.
But I really like the result for a isa only system.

also I have just ordered a 40mhz crystal from ebay, this time Taiwan so looks like this thread just doesn't want to die

IMG_20180809_233048.jpg
IMG_20180809_232959.jpg
IMG_20180809_235139.jpg