I have build my first DOS computer.

Motherboard: Lucky Star 5MVP3 2.0
http://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/9/download … mb_5mvp3_v2.pdf
K6-2 400
Awe64 value
256MB
40GB
FreeDos

I've got everything working (even the awe64 after loads off effort)

except the serial mouse.
CuteMouse v2.1 says during boot
Error: device not found.

I have tried 2 brackets from motherboard to serial port and tried switching the plugs around but nothing 🙁

running ctmouse /m says:
Installed at COM1 (03F8h/IRQ4) in Mouse Systems mode

but even then it does not work. I tried 2 mice but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 20, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried 2 brackets from motherboard to serial port and tried switching the plugs around but nothing

There are different pinouts for serial port headers. The two brackets you tried might not have the right one for your board . Unfortunately, the manual does not seem to provide info about what your board uses .

The manual for version 4 of the board does list serial port pinouts (page 18 of the manual or page 23 of the pdf). Hopefully they are the same as for your board (even if the board layout is different) :
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/manual … P3/5mvp3_v4.pdf

Here is the pinout of a DB9 serial connector for reference :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xj_lC4bZKlw/UWsKBKB … /db9-pinout.gif

Reply 2 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With such ancient hardware ask in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 20, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote:
There are different pinouts for serial port headers. The two brackets you tried might not have the right one for your board . Un […]
Show full quote

I have tried 2 brackets from motherboard to serial port and tried switching the plugs around but nothing

There are different pinouts for serial port headers. The two brackets you tried might not have the right one for your board . Unfortunately, the manual does not seem to provide info about what your board uses .

The manual for version 4 of the board does list serial port pinouts (page 18 of the manual or page 23 of the pdf). Hopefully they are the same as for your board (even if the board layout is different) :
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/manual … P3/5mvp3_v4.pdf

Here is the pinout of a DB9 serial connector for reference :
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xj_lC4bZKlw/UWsKBKB … /db9-pinout.gif

Had the same thought. I ran into this problem once too. Trying some spare brackets did the job because 1 turned out to be a compatible one.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 10 of 20, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You haven't explicitly stated that you confirmed the BIOS shows the com port to be enabled, and what IRQ and I/O range it is using.

There's also a binary, comtest.com, included with CuteMouse. See if that tells you anything informative about your Com ports.

Forego the /m switch and try /s, as well.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 11 of 20, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Murugan wrote:

How are you certain that the bracket is compatible? Did it work before in the board?

how many type of brackets are there? I have 3, 1 which does not fit due to a hole being blocked. Two others which work perfectly in my other socket 7 system.

Reply 12 of 20, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:

You haven't explicitly stated that you confirmed the BIOS shows the com port to be enabled, and what IRQ and I/O range it is using.

There's also a binary, comtest.com, included with CuteMouse. See if that tells you anything informative about your Com ports.

Forego the /m switch and try /s, as well.

In bios both com1 and com2 are set to auto. I can manual set them but for as far i have seen it makes no difference.

Reply 13 of 20, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just ran the comtest:

COM# ADDR IRQ# TYPE ATTACCHED
-------------------------------------------
1 03F8 4 16559A (with FIFO)
2 02F8 3 16550A (with FIFO)
3 0000 not found
4 0000 not found

just removed one of the brackets and nothing changes on the report. So it is just reporting back from the MOBO.

Reply 14 of 20, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try hooking to Com1, then ctmouse /s1, if that fails then go to Com2, ctmouse /s2 . The automatic settings on the BIOS should use those defaults, but if you go to manual configuration you can be certain it matches up.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 16 of 20, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
geertjanb wrote:
Murugan wrote:

How are you certain that the bracket is compatible? Did it work before in the board?

how many type of brackets are there? I have 3, 1 which does not fit due to a hole being blocked. Two others which work perfectly in my other socket 7 system.

There are at least two different ones :

http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/rs232_header_pinout.shtml

Reply 17 of 20, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for thinking with me. I have both versions of the serial bracket and one doesn't even fit so I'm quite sure I'm using the correct one. I'm really starting to believe the controller is broken.

Reply 18 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost all my IO cards and 486 motherboards use a connector where the pin ordering is :
While one of my IO cards and all my Pentium and newer things use :
You can tell by unscrewing the connector from the bracket and pulling the black cover back a little, if you see writes that don't zigzag it is the first, if zigzagging then second ordering.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 19 of 20, by geertjanb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I started working on the K6 machine again (installed a voodoo1) and was annoyed by still not having a working mouse. I started googling again and ended up on my own thread (this one). I started reading again and opened the manual @Darry shared for version 4 of my motherboard. Here I could see that one of the pins on the serial heading on the motherboard does nothing. Then I thought about the serial bracket I have lying around where one of the holes is blocked, exactly where the pin of the motherboard says it does nothing. I drilled out the port on the serial bracket connector. Connected it to the motherboard, connected a mouse, and VICTORY. It finally detected a mouse.

My girlfriend wishes I would say it more often. But you guys were right all along that I was using the wrong connector/pin layout.

Thanks! 😀

IMG-20220429-080717.jpg