VOGONS

First post, by boludo123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys! 😀
I recently got this mobo from an old pc i found, i know it 's pretty crappy, but i'm trying to see if i can get to an acceptable performance level. With a K6-2 350 @ 400 (66x6) and a V2 1000 + IGPU, 3DMark performance was OK, but i figured it might run faster with an 83 Mhz FSB @ 400 Mhz (83x5), which it should be capable of. The thing is, if i set it to this frequency, it gets stuck on the BIOS screen, right after the memory test, it just says "WAIT...". Sometimes, it does go past this, but to a black screen, instead of booting Windows. Even with slower frequencies, it keeps getting stuck at the BIOS screen, like 83x4 (333Mhz), and even at 75Mhz. I read somewhere the SIS 5598 (the chipset) doesn't support 83Mhz, so maybe the board is overclocking the chipset and causing unstability? Even then, it's pretty strange it doesn't work at 75 Mhz, which the chipset should support. Maybe it's the onboard video? Most of the people online who got it working at 83 Mhz FSB use PCI video cards.

Reply 1 of 1, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SiS 5598 is rated only for up to 75MHz FSB and the 83MHz setting is definitely OC'ing it. Combine that with PC Chips' legendary board quality and mediocre capacitors that are literally a decade+ old, and it becomes no surprise indeed that you are having stability issues even at lower speeds.