VOGONS

First post, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have a bit of a situation with my main monitor which I also use to play around with older hardware. It is Dell U2715H with no VGA input and a very limited list of resolution and timings it can display correctly, i.e. lower resolutions aren't supported. As you can imagine, in order to display anything on it when using one of my old computers I am having to use VGA to HDMI converter or DVI to HDMI cable if GPU allows me to do so. Even though most of the GPUs I own have DVI output, there is still to image visible on the screen until windows loads. It is not ideal since every time I need to alter any BIOS settings, clear BIOS fault, or reinstall OS I have to hook up my old monitor. I tested the following GPUs: Radeon 800XL, Radeon 9000, Radeon 1950Pro, Geforce 7600, Geforce 9600. None of them are able to display BIOS or windows loading screed at correct resolution/timing.
Then I decided to try out Leadtek Geforce 4ti 4200 and surprisingly, it works flawlessly showing BIOS splash screen as well at 1280x1024@75Hz.

Can anyone explain how is it possible that one of the first GPUs with DVI output does a better job than more recent cards?

I am sure this will become a more popular topic in coming years with analog inputs on monitors going extinct.

Many thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess would be that cards using an external TMDS from Silicon Image for DVI will work and that this the case for your TI 4200 . Why that is, I could not say .
I had some issues of my own with DVI and a much older monitor and found very different behaviour between models .
[Explained and mostly solved] VESA BIOS works in 1600x1200 in DOS, with LG L246WP, but not with Samsung 204B