VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm tinkering with my little up-side-down HP PC. It does what it's supposed to do but naturally I want MOAR POWAH.

This thing's job is specifically to capture, encode, & stream video, sometimes in real-time, so more cores are ABSOLUTELY beneficial. I found a modded BIOS specifically for this board revision that supports running a Phenom II X6, although the makers do recommend using the 95W rather than 115W version. (Current CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 4800+.)

It's fairly open inside, but I'm still concerned about heat:

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
327.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I haven't paid much attention to the internal temperature yet, but it doesn't seem to get overly hot with the stock CPU & cooler. Both PCI slots are now occupied with Datapath VisionRGB cards which do get a little warm. It's mid summer here in the northern hemisphere and about 27˚ in my apartment right now.

I DO NOT want to mess with big, noisy Netburst-style coolers or water blocks. It runs almost silently right now. I can take a little noise but I don't want a jet engine or dust vacuum.

What do you guys think, will a Phenom II cook this thing? Could I stuff one X6 in but clock it down to like 2GHz without turning it into a total slug?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 4, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

95W is probably fine. I would plan to upgrade the CPU cooler for anything more than that, but you can monitor the temps and see what happens. How's the power supply on that thing? 300W at least?

You could also look at lower power CPUs like Phenom II X4 910e (65w), Athlon II X4 620e (45w), etc.

Usually you can drop the voltage on the normal CPU models too. I ran a 1.4V chip at 1.25V, and at idle I have it switch down to 1.6GHz and .950V using phenommsrtweaker

Reply 2 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think that cooler is going to be adequate to keep the CPU from overheating. It certainly won't be quiet. You really want a cooler designed for a 92-120mm fan if you want quiet with a 95+ W CPU.

The case is going to have trouble with that kind of CPU heat too. I'd set up the back bottom fan to pull air in directly to the CPU. That is not a very useful place for an outlet fan.

Undervolting is definitely helpful but you never know what you can expect from your particular chip.

Reply 3 of 4, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i would go for a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

its very cheap, 17€

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some things:

• The motherboard, if it's what I think it is (nForce 430a/630a chipset-based), will be socket AM2, with DDR2 memory, and only supporting up to HT1.0. The X6 parts are AM3, supporting both DDR2 and DDR3, and HT up to HT3.0. The CPU should drop in and work (AM3 is hardware-level backwards-compatible) and I don't think the slower memory and HyperTransport link bottlenecked the slower dual-core Athlon II/Phenom II parts much. I would bet any X6 will perform significantly slower on that board compared to on a "proper" AM3 board, though.
  • There are various reports of expensive-ish motherboards having VRM issues (read: magic smoke) with the X6 chips. While this mostly seems to be involving OC'd 125w models, your motherboard looks to have a simple three-phase VRM for the CPU, and overall won't be as burly as many of the MBs on that spreadsheet. Unless you go with the 45/65w power-efficient models mentioned earlier, I might be a little worried about this, especially with that tiny aluminium OEM HSF.
  • The silly HP case design means not all of the heat from the CPU will be exhausted by the back fan, with some of that heat rising up and further warming up those PCI cards you have installed.