VOGONS

First post, by SandroX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

having wrapped up a lot of cool retro projects over the past 1-2 years (a Pentium 200 Pro, a Pentium II 400, Pentium III 1 GHz and now a Athlon 1333), I a trying to rebuild my very first computer. It's my dads 486 DX4-100, 8MB, 1MB VGA (CL5423 I think) and a 2x CD-ROM. He bought it some time in early 1994 from a small computer shop in Germany.

I'm now looking for the exact case to rebuild the PC. After months of going through eBay and other sources, I finally found a case that seems VERY similar to the one I had:

s-l640.jpg
s-l640a.jpg
s-l640b.jpg

From my memory, mine was a bit bigger (could be the photos or my memory), it had the same black front panel (with the clock speed "100" displayed on the front), a turbo button and that grey round power button. My case stood on a socket. So aside form that, it might be the exact one.

So can anyone tell me: Who made these? And aside from this one seller in the US (shipping is twice the cost of the tower), where could I get those? Ideally I'd like to get a list of all the tower this maker made and figure out which one I had.

Really appreciate your help 😀

Cheers, Sandro

Reply 1 of 4, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't help you as far as the maker, but I am familiar with the seller. 😵
Note that in the second picture the case is bigger than the box it supposedly came in. 🤣

Reply 2 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tannerstevo wrote:

Can't help you as far as the maker, but I am familiar with the seller. 😵
Note that in the second picture the case is bigger than the box it supposedly came in. 🤣

Also came to say I won't be buying squat from that seller. Another user ordered from him and waited eons, I'm not sure he ever got his case.

I emailed the seller asking a few specific questions about the case, a month later he replied with a quick sentence saying the price and shipping are wrong and marked the price way up (this was using his webstore outside of ebay). No further contact, totally avoiding my questions.

If you do buy, definitely do it via ebay so you have easier recourse, and be ready for insane shipping prices and long delays 😀

edit: I found him for the same reason, he has the case my original 486 was in.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 4, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My dad's first PC in 1992 came in the same tower as this, but in the baby AT (2x5.25", 2x3.5") form factor and housing a 386SX-25. The case you've pictured is a full tower, so it's unlikely that it was larger than this one! The box sitting next to it seems to be for a regular mid-tower size case, with its flap extended, and might be to show how tall it is.

Secondly, I have a case from this seller, but with a different faceplate, and that one was made by Topower. Unfortunately that's no guarantee that the one you've pictured, or all the seller's cases come from that manufacturer. A lot of these 90s cases came out of generic factories in China/Taiwan/HK, so you would be out of luck trying to find a website/listing of cases, unless a wholesaler or retailer kept records (and maintained an online presence, which is unlikely).

Good luck with the search though! 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by SandroX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all: Thanks for the responses. 😀

It helped, even though I kind of expected what you guys confirmed. The seller didn't take months to respond to my question, but he was very "I don't give a shit" about it. I guess it IS the only way to get this case...just as JidaiGeki says, it seems to be some unknown Chinese/Taiwanese/HK case that somehow found its way to Germany and there's no record anywhere. From what I remember it was extremely solid and well made.

I guess I'll take the risk and buy via eBay - to be on the "safe" side.

I'm still hoping someone knows who made these cases and where I could find them cheaper and maybe more reliably. 😀