VOGONS

First post, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've seen a few threads here about SCSI on old systems. Some saying it's the dogs 😲, others saying to avoid it as it adds latency.

So I'm currently bringing back to life an old Compaq Deskpro 386s Rev N.5, and one big fear I have is the HDD dying as the motherboard will only recognise a few select IDE HDDs, and I doubt many of them are either available readily, or cheap.

I've seen a Adaptec AHA-1542CF for sale, with full 50-pin both internal and external. Would using this with a caddied external (Don't want to hack away at the internals!) SCSI hdd work? I understand I can throw in a fairly decent sized (~2 GB) scsi drive and it'll just work. But as all things that should "just work", I'm wary!

Once I get all my bits I'll do a thread on the (re)build of it. But for now, I just need to know what I'm getting.

Reply 1 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an 386SX and an 386DX, both have SCSI HDDs, around 2GB in size. One of them have even a very similar (1540CF) adapter in it. Nothing that old "just works", but making a SCSI system run correctly is not a hard job, and resources that might help is plenty. I suggest you to go for it.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 10, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I have an 386SX and an 386DX, both have SCSI HDDs, around 2GB in size. One of them have even a very similar (1540CF) adapter in it. Nothing that old "just works", but making a SCSI system run correctly is not a hard job, and resources that might help is plenty. I suggest you to go for it.

Brilliant, Thank you!

derSammler wrote:

I'm using an AHA-1542CF in one of my 286 PCs. As long as the SCSI cabling + termination is correct, it does "just work".

Well I've learned something. I didn't know termination was required as normally it happens inside the attached units. What do you do with a cable with only 2 ends?

Reply 4 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both ends must be terminated. Depending on the device, this is either done by a jumper or by resistor packs. Also, one device on the bus (and only *one*) should provide termination power. Note that you have to take care when using both internal and external devices. The SCSI controller must not be terminated in that case. If you detach the external device(s), a terminator must be connected to the external SCSI port.

Reply 5 of 10, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Both ends must be terminated. Depending on the device, this is either done by a jumper or by resistor packs. Also, one device on the bus (and only *one*) should provide termination power. Note that you have to take care when using both internal and external devices. The SCSI controller must not be terminated in that case. If you detach the external device(s), a terminator must be connected to the external SCSI port.

So at each end of the SCSI chain, there will be a terminator either on a device or on a cable. How can you ascertain where the termination power is coming from? Do you use a powered terminator and a passive terminator at different ends? (sorry for my n00bness, I've never used SCSI before).

On the SCSI note actually, one of the other investments I was planning for this wee beastie is a SB16 CT1770 with SCSI on board, but what exactly does a soundcard do with SCSI?

Reply 6 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vaudane wrote:

On the SCSI note actually, one of the other investments I was planning for this wee beastie is a SB16 CT1770 with SCSI on board, but what exactly does a soundcard do with SCSI?

My guess is that's for internal SCSI CD-ROM and similar optical devices: when they started coming out, people had old computers being upgraded with multimedia stuff like sound cards, which are useful with Audio CDs. So, sound card manufacturers started adding IDE and SCSI connectors to the sound cards so you could connect the CD drives too.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 8 of 10, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember what chipset is used on the Creative cards with SCSI, but it's likely to be much slower than the 1542. Those were adequate for slow CDROM transfers (2x-4x at the time at most) not for fast HDD transfers. Also very likely you wouldn't be able to boot from a HDD attached to the sound card. You need a boot BIOS on the SCSI adapter for that; I'm pretty sure that the sound card SCSI adapters don't have one, whereas the AHA1542 does.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Above is correct, You cant boot from a soundcard, I doubt the scsi controller even has the necessary to detect HDD's.
Some HDD's have inbuilt termination say set by a jumper, others will require something physical on the cable. Finding out the HDD model and a quick google will tell you.

Really in this day and age, SCSI drives are old, noisy and slow when compared with something like a CF card which is better in every way possible, accept 1.

SCSI WAS the dogs, and if you do fancy playing around with it now is definitely the time.

Reply 10 of 10, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Above is correct, You cant boot from a soundcard, I doubt the scsi controller even has the necessary to detect HDD's. Some HDD's […]
Show full quote

Above is correct, You cant boot from a soundcard, I doubt the scsi controller even has the necessary to detect HDD's.
Some HDD's have inbuilt termination say set by a jumper, others will require something physical on the cable. Finding out the HDD model and a quick google will tell you.

Really in this day and age, SCSI drives are old, noisy and slow when compared with something like a CF card which is better in every way possible, accept 1.

SCSI WAS the dogs, and if you do fancy playing around with it now is definitely the time.

That's fair. On my dosbox I run it off SSD, but when it comes to my antique, I want to keep it as "time-correct" as possible. I'm making slight compromises by planning to use dos 6.22 and win3.11WG when it currently has dos5 and win3.1 on it, but the stability overrides the time-correctness there.

Once I find a SCSI drive I like (read: can afford and isn't stupid size like >10 GB), I'll look up documentation to check for jumpers/terminators.

I'll probably still go for the CT1770 as it just seems like a good sound card, I'll just leave it off the SCSI bus.