VOGONS

First post, by arteq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

Did any of you successful modify modern FDD 1.44 MB to retro 720KB ?
Could you please help me ?

I have tried my SAMSUNG SFD-321B according to steps
1. Move 0ohm resistor from DC to RD
2. Solder wire as shown at the picture
3. DS0
but without success ;(

thank you in advance.

Some items for sale 😀
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YNG8R … dit?usp=sharing

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

May I ask why you're going through all this? Maybe it's needed for your particular application, just wanted to say than in most (admittedly not all) cases connecting a normal/unmodified 1.44 drive to an XT just works.

Reply 2 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No modification is needed, unless you want to use the drive in an Amiga or something. If you want to use it as a DD drive but with HD media (which I don't recommend), you may short the DD sensor.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Using an HD drive with an HD floppy is no problem, independent of the formatting (be it 320KB/360/KB/720KB/1.2MB or 1.44MB).

Edit: Here'a the datasheet. Track density seems to be the same (135TPI) for all three "modes".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XTs work with HD floppies in HD mode with a little trick. On my clone XT I use a generic no-name 16-bit multi-IO card (in a 8-bit slot of course) to connect floppies and HDDs. The trick is to insert in the system BIOS the code from a HD floppy controller's BIOS extension, in a location that's executed at boot. Here's the thread on vcfed where I explain it (I'm jh1523 over there) http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?484 … ebay-components

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O