VOGONS

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been looking at the popular asrock 775i65G R3.0 board for a win98/dos machine but have read conflicting things about how a pci sound card would work. I have a Yamaha YMF 744 card that was supposed to be good for DOS but I read here: Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide that the board I have does not support DDMA and therefore the card won't work under DOS.

But then I saw a video by philscomputerlab that states the i865 chipset is great for dos/win98 and apparently works fine with at least the aureal vortex 2: https://youtu.be/rr2r_mvKfuQ. But unfortunately aureal vortex 2 cards aren't exactly cheap.

So since the asrock board uses the 865G chipset I'm not sure if it would be good or not?

I also have a socket 939 board that has a vt8251 southbridge which I've read doesn't support DDMA either. However, supposedly the vt8237 does support DDMA.

So what exactly do I need to make sure a sound card works in DOS with the more modern 939/775 chipsets?

Reply 1 of 17, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should read this topic first: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24769

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 2 of 17, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hm, so I guess the only solution is to invest in a aureal vortex card? Do all of them work, even vortex 2 (AU8830)? I'm not sure why that philscomputerlab video would state that a pentium4 is good for DOS as well as win98 if he just happened to be using the only sound card that would actually work with it.

edit: I suppose I read that wrong, apparently pci sound cards will work up to ICH5 which the board I'm looking at has?

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure you should be able to use a Yamaha YMF7x4 based card as well with the DSDMA driver (the only caveat is the few games that require EMM386 to not be loaded will not have sound).

See here for the review by Philscomputerlab:
https://youtu.be/vNCg_zy1_d4

In fact, people with the x58 chipset have it working just fine.. so your i865 should be no problem whatsoever.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which games are you interested in ?
I have Asrock 775i65G v2.03 and can confirm that with DSDMA you can hear sound in (plain dos 7.1):
- Aladdin
- Doom, Doom II
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Dynablaster
- Electrobody
- Epic Pinball
- Flashback
- Golden Axe
- Happyland Adventures
- Prehistoric 2
- Lionking
- Prehistoric
- Prince of Persia
- Prince of Persia 2
- Project X
- Wolfenstein 3D
.... (the few I've tested just now 😀

config.sys

dos=HIGH,UMB,noauto
device=c:\drivers\jemm\jemmex.exe MAXEXT=16384 NOVME
files=40

autoexec.bat

cd c:\sound\yamaha
call loadtsr.bat
cd c:\
ctmouse

loadtsr.bat

setupds /s
DSDMA
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

I'm using this board with Celeron 420 Conroe-L (1.6Ghz) and 1GB ram (for Windows XP).
For Windows 98 memory is limited to 512MB in config.sys

device=c:\windows\himemx.exe /max=512384

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 5 of 17, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No real specific games I want to play, although I did have issues with the colors in mortal kombat trilogy in win98 (windows version would not work for some reason) so I might try that in DOS. I play mostly action oriented games, not a lot of adventure. Most likely only playing late or very late dos releases that don't work well in win98. I would actually prefer using dosbox but I've found it impossible to get a good vsync'd image from it and apparently you need a gsync monitor for that.

I did order a couple sound blaster lives for use in windows 98 as well so I'm not sure which would be the more compatible in DOS.

Reply 6 of 17, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xenphor wrote:

I also have a socket 939 board that has a vt8251 southbridge which I've read doesn't support DDMA either. However, supposedly the vt8237 does support DDMA.

The VT8237 support proper DDMA either but you can use ESS based PCI cards in TDMA mode without any TSRs (Solo-1/ES1938 preferred due to the ESFM FM synth).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

you can use ESS based PCI cards in TDMA mode without any TSRs (Solo-1/ES1938 preferred due to the ESFM FM synth).

I thought TDMA required the TSR, although it apparently can work without EMM386 to port trap.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 17, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I thought TDMA required the TSR, although it apparently can work without EMM386 to port trap.

ESSOLO.SYS is there just for IRQ emulation. On my P4M900/VT8237S based system it doesn't even stay resident, it just changes the PCI IRQ of the card.

YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my experiences on i865 are:

- ESS-Solo1 works great under Dos (SFX/FM)
- ESS-Solo1 does not work with VXD-Drivers under Win9x, WDM-Drivers do work but require to deactivate the USB2.0 support, otherwise the ressources collide. I can't change the USB2.0 Controller resources on that MB.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 10 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

config.sys

dos=HIGH,UMB,noauto
device=c:\drivers\jemm\jemmex.exe MAXEXT=16384 NOVME
files=40

autoexec.bat

cd c:\sound\yamaha
call loadtsr.bat
cd c:\
ctmouse

loadtsr.bat

setupds /s
DSDMA
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

I'm using this board with Celeron 420 Conroe-L (1.6Ghz) and 1GB ram (for Windows XP).
For Windows 98 memory is limited to 512MB in config.sys

device=c:\windows\himemx.exe /max=512384

Are these (himemx/jemmes) better then himem.sys and emm386.exe ?
What advantages do they have?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 17, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:

my experiences on i865 are:

- ESS-Solo1 works great under Dos (SFX/FM)
- ESS-Solo1 does not work with VXD-Drivers under Win9x, WDM-Drivers do work but require to deactivate the USB2.0 support, otherwise the ressources collide. I can't change the USB2.0 Controller resources on that MB.

Well I've received my asrock 775i65G R3.0 board and interesting you mentioned usb 2.0 since I've already had some issues w/ windows 98.

Since I'm using an SSD I was just going to use the same sata to pata adapter (recommended by philscomputerlab) that I used on my socket 939 VIA chipset which worked fine for that board. However, after I had installed everything and then later came back to the machine, it just wouldn't boot to Windows. I decided to install again but then the setup wouldn't initialize. I even restored an image I had made just after I got everything working and that wouldn't boot either.

I then had issues reinstalling from a usb key where it seemed that some of the ports were forcing usb 1.1 speeds no matter what settings I tried in the bios. This is after I had just successfully installed using the same exact key and got decent speeds. I was able to get that working eventually by using the ports closest to the onboard audio. After that I just decided to use sata instead and so far that hasn't failed to boot Windows yet. I'm surprised sata would be more compatible than pata on this board with Windows 98 but I guess it's the adapter that's causing the issues?

I suppose having sata working is good compared to the socket 939 board which didn't work. But since there are only 2 sata ports and I have no native IDE drives that kind of limits my options. That's assuming that there's nothing actually wrong with IDE on this board.

edit:
Noticed my sata adapter is rxd-629a7-7 and not the jp103-5 one even though that's what was shown in the auction pictures.

Reply 12 of 17, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I'm using himemx only for limiting memory to 512MB for Windows 98SE. Don't know about other advantages. For DOS I'm not using it.
Jemmex is himem.sys+emm386.exe in one executable, it also can limit EMS memory to 16MB, so i.e. Aladdin is working (Aladdin needs EMS memory, but if there is more than 16MB it falsely reports about "not enough EMS memory"). Plus - in this configuration (i865G+1GB) when I tried to run emm386.exe and next DSDMA - computer was restarting - didn't go to the DOS prompt. With jemmex everything is working fine.

...hmm, that gave me an idea to try himemx (limit memory to 16MB) with emm386.exe combination.

Of course I have many configurations in my config.sys (with himem.sys/himemx.sys/umbpci.sys/emm386/jemmex/etc.). And I'm checking which combination is working best for particular software.

Reply 13 of 17, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xenphor wrote:

I suppose having sata working is good compared to the socket 939 board which didn't work. But since there are only 2 sata ports and I have no native IDE drives that kind of limits my options. That's assuming that there's nothing actually wrong with IDE on this board.

Did you try running the SATA controller of your socket 939 board in RAID mode? At least the VT8237S southbridge got working drivers under Windows 98 when the controller runs in RAID mode, unfortunately it's capped at 150MB/s (using a OCZ Vertex 30GB detected as SATAII in the RAID BIOS screen).

YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 17, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
Xenphor wrote:

Did you try running the SATA controller of your socket 939 board in RAID mode? At least the VT8237S southbridge got working drivers under Windows 98 when the controller runs in RAID mode, unfortunately it's capped at 150MB/s (using a OCZ Vertex 30GB detected as SATAII in the RAID BIOS screen).

No, I read that RAID mode is what makes it incompatible with Windows 98 and you have to use IDE mode, at least for installing the operating system to it. I didn't really try messing with it after having already installed Windows because IDE seemed to perform decent enough and didn't really need another drive connected since I was already using a 128gb SSD on IDE.

Reply 15 of 17, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xenphor wrote:

No, I read that RAID mode is what makes it incompatible with Windows 98 and you have to use IDE mode, at least for installing the operating system to it

correct. "RAID" mode on these old boards is confusingly named. What it primarily does is activating AHCI mode. AHCI is not supported on windows 9x systems.

Reply 16 of 17, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote:

...hmm, that gave me an idea to try himemx (limit memory to 16MB) with emm386.exe combination.

Now I can confirm that this combination works:

device=c:\windows\himemx.exe /max=16384
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=c:\windows\emm386.exe RAM

Even better - I'm able to get music in Lemmings.

Reply 17 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zyga64 wrote:
I'm using himemx only for limiting memory to 512MB for Windows 98SE. Don't know about other advantages. For DOS I'm not using it […]
Show full quote
dr.zeissler wrote:

I'm using himemx only for limiting memory to 512MB for Windows 98SE. Don't know about other advantages. For DOS I'm not using it.
Jemmex is himem.sys+emm386.exe in one executable, it also can limit EMS memory to 16MB, so i.e. Aladdin is working (Aladdin needs EMS memory, but if there is more than 16MB it falsely reports about "not enough EMS memory"). Plus - in this configuration (i865G+1GB) when I tried to run emm386.exe and next DSDMA - computer was restarting - didn't go to the DOS prompt. With jemmex everything is working fine.

Of course I have many configurations in my config.sys (with himem.sys/himemx.sys/umbpci.sys/emm386/jemmex/etc.). And I'm checking which combination is working best for particular software.

Both HIMEMX and JEMM386 have a smaller resident size than HIMEM and EMM386.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder