VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have problems with some strange glitches with different videocards and games.

for example i tried a 486 motherboard with a tseng labs et4000 card. while playing commander keen4 and keen6 on the first level, while moving.. there are some areas of the game that look fine, but some areas start to show artifacts on half the screen. If i keep moving the artifacts dissapear, if i return to the old place i was.. the artifacts appear again.

with a PCI S3 videocard diamond stealth 3d, i dont see artifacts but half of the scren has blinking shadow on half the screen. (kind of the same problem with the tseng but instead of artifacts its a dark blinking shadow on half the screen) in here i tried a different motherboard i think it was a pentium4

with another videocard i think it was S3 also cheaply made, i saw no problems in those games.

the strange part is that other games like Doom or Wolf3d show no problems at all on the screen.

Reply 1 of 3, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS Game VGA/Video Card Compatibility

I'll refer you to this website. Some games have problems with some cards. Commander Keen 4 and 6 are both problematic depending on the card and monitor used. S3 cards are some of the most compatible, but even then some of them are not perfect. Some even vary by BIOS version. Tseng Labs cards tend to be more problematic than most.

Last edited by fitzpatr on 2018-08-07, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 3, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

S3 and Tseng have different sets of incompatibilities. Tseng has these issues with Apogee games, which can be a pretty big bummer as they're staple stuff.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 3, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the chart. clearly a compatibility problem

nice compat with TNT cards and cirrus logic tho
and trident oh my god incredible that trident has good compatibility..more than wel known brands