VOGONS

First post, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm attempting to burn a boot disk for Windows 98SE, and I cant seem to get the CD-Rom to read anything, let alone boot from a disk. The only burned disk I can get it to read within windows is one I burned without the Joliet filesystem. But I cant seem to figure out a way to burn an ISO without it. Am I missing something? Should I just get a new CD-ROM drive?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm not sure if can help really you, but general speaking, all common drives should be able to read ISO9660+Joliet.
Maybe your CD-ROM drive cannot stand the type of CD-R, or maybe the ISO is a mixed-mode type which your old drive can't read.
I had a similar issue once. My old Philips SCSI CD-ROM drive was unable to read a CD-ROM with audio tracks and data tracks.
Ironically, the even older Mitsumi LU005S single-speed drive had no issue with it.
If you can't get it work, try the following: Create an plain ISO9660 CD-ROM image without Joliet an insert the Win98 files.
Especially DRIVERS and WIN98. Then, try to add a 1.44MB floppy image of the Win98 or WinME start-up disk.
Then write "burn" the image to the CD-R. If it boots in your PC afterwards, go to the letter of the CD-Drive (D: for example)
and run the Win98 setup from the WIN98 folder (or just type D:\WIN98\SETUP).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You didn't mention how you prepare and burn the CD or which software you use. But many tools for this have an odd option: they let you create a Joliet filesystem only, which is invalid. Joliet always goes in conjunction ISO9660, so you need to select both. Might very well be your problem.

Reply 4 of 4, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Hi, I'm not sure if can help really you, but general speaking, all common drives should be able to read ISO9660+Joliet. Maybe yo […]
Show full quote

Hi, I'm not sure if can help really you, but general speaking, all common drives should be able to read ISO9660+Joliet.
Maybe your CD-ROM drive cannot stand the type of CD-R, or maybe the ISO is a mixed-mode type which your old drive can't read.
I had a similar issue once. My old Philips SCSI CD-ROM drive was unable to read a CD-ROM with audio tracks and data tracks.
Ironically, the even older Mitsumi LU005S single-speed drive had no issue with it.
If you can't get it work, try the following: Create an plain ISO9660 CD-ROM image without Joliet an insert the Win98 files.
Especially DRIVERS and WIN98. Then, try to add a 1.44MB floppy image of the Win98 or WinME start-up disk.
Then write "burn" the image to the CD-R. If it boots in your PC afterwards, go to the letter of the CD-Drive (D: for example)
and run the Win98 setup from the WIN98 folder (or just type D:\WIN98\SETUP).

Yeah after doiong a bit more investigating, it seems to be able to read Joliet, it just doesnt like something about how I"m burning the Isos. Very odd.

I'm trying again to make a bootable CD with your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.