VOGONS

First post, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just bought a Soyo SY-6BA+III which I promptly update to the latest BIOS.
Now I'm greeted by an ugly pheonixnet bios startup screen.

Since phoenixnet is both discontinued and most importantly unwanted; has anyone found a way to strip Award BIOSes of this abomination?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 1 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short of finding a fitting BIOS from another i440BX board, not much.

I had the same issue with my Lucky Star 6VA694+ board and ended up flashing a PcPartner (Sapphire) BIOS meant for 694T. I had to track down a board with the same clock generator and southbridge as the 694X and 694T are the same (except for Tuallie support on the latter)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 8, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks PcBytes. Sounds like I'll be using my gigabyte board instead.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 3 of 8, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old thread, but it is actually possible to "disarm" an award bios that has Phoenixnet.
Phoenixnet is mainly stored in two components, one being ROS.BIN (which contains the splash screen and the actual phoenixnet software) and the NNOPROM which is probably a sort of table so that the ROS actually knows what to display on the splash screen.
If you use a tool such as CBROM and remove these two files (using

cbrom filename.bin /ros release

and

/nnoprom release

), the BIOS will boot to a more typical VGA award POST screen, with the only thing being that if you get an error message during POST it will revert back to the basic text mode until you enter setup or continue booting.
This specific board has one minor issue where doing this will lose the cyan sign-on text that Soyo used on their boards at the time, instead appearing white in VGA mode and only being cyan when you get an error on POST.
This particular board also had 2 PCI roms (ncr400.bin and fp141es.bin) and 1 VGA rom (pro_325.vga) that were removed from versions with Phoenixnet (which are versions 2BA3 and up).
Here i hacked together the latest revision 2BA6 but with the ROS and NNOPROM files removed and with those 2 PCI roms and the VGA rom put back in. I haven't tried it on real hardware but it seems to work fine on x86 emulators like 86Box, so it should work fine. Otherwise, you can always just flash the version before Phoenixnet which is version 2BA2.

EDIT: Apart from the Soyo specific bug, there is one thing that seems to be permanently lost from any Phoenixnet bios and that seems to be the config screen. The screen that shows CPU and PCI devices before booting into a OS on a normal award can't be re-enabled here even using Modbin which just says it's enabled/disabled but doesn't make a difference, so it will boot straight into the OS after POST without showing anything. It also seems that the latest bios revision of the 6BA+ III does let you disable the Phoenixnet install so that at least it won't contaminate your Windows install.

Attachments

• Filename
    6baIII.7z
    File size
    345.03 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File comment
    Last revision before Phoenixnet (2BA2) and a modified 2BA6 with Phoenixnet removed.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fresh off playing Pinball on the school computers.

Reply 4 of 8, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... let me ask you all the reverse... can we add Phoenix Net back to a BIOS? The service is long gone, any "Phone home" will not go home anymore, because I bet you home is no more... I want the boot screen back, I think its neat... Can we add it back? how???

Reply 5 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC I don't think that's possible. For a fact I know that the BIOSes that used PhoenixNet were specifically marked with v6.00PGN, while standard BIOSes were v6.00PG.

Someone who knows this better can correct me but from what I remember this was how it was done. PGN meant it incorporated the PhoenixNET bootscreen (some also had a few different variations - Epox's 8KHA has a RSA Security logo added, some Soltek have the "RedStorm Overclocking" logo added (don't exactly remember where but I think it was in place of the "Energy Star" B/W logo that's present in there), Soyo boards usually have either the BIOS revision and model written in blue in the bottom left corner, and that's about it) while the PG (and to an extent, PGMA for some FIC mainboards, as well as most AOpen that had Award BIOS) was the standard deal for most of the mainboards of the era.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 6 of 8, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

. For a fact I know that the BIOSes that used PhoenixNet were specifically marked with v6.00PGN,

Well, respectully, you are wrong! The Soyo BIOS mensioned in this thread is an Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG so there is probably not that ... If you use PCEm replace the GA686BX BIOS in the ROMS folder with the original one from the SOYO SY-6BA+III (easy to find on the internet, just need to name the file 6BX.f2A) you will be able to see for yourself.
POSTing on PCEm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fJdzBgBSet3C … iew?usp=sharing

After "pressing TAB" on PCEm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qWFtWXUjBZ7t … iew?usp=sharing

After this, using CBROM220 I've managed to extract the NNOPROM.bin and ROSUPD.bin from this SOYO BIOS and added it to a FiC VB-601 BIOS, also Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG, but no go... There must be something I'm missing.

Reply 7 of 8, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NiPPonD3nZ0 wrote on 2022-07-14, 22:16:
Well, respectully, you are wrong! The Soyo BIOS mensioned in this thread is an Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG so there is probably no […]
Show full quote

. For a fact I know that the BIOSes that used PhoenixNet were specifically marked with v6.00PGN,

Well, respectully, you are wrong! The Soyo BIOS mensioned in this thread is an Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG so there is probably not that ... If you use PCEm replace the GA686BX BIOS in the ROMS folder with the original one from the SOYO SY-6BA+III (easy to find on the internet, just need to name the file 6BX.f2A) you will be able to see for yourself.
POSTing on PCEm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fJdzBgBSet3C … iew?usp=sharing

After "pressing TAB" on PCEm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qWFtWXUjBZ7t … iew?usp=sharing

After this, using CBROM220 I've managed to extract the NNOPROM.bin and ROSUPD.bin from this SOYO BIOS and added it to a FiC VB-601 BIOS, also Award Modular BIOS 4.51PG, but no go... There must be something I'm missing.

It's true that some boards still had the 4.51PG as their core but contained phoenixnet modules, they were often boards that got updated to phoenixnet. As for adding it into a bios without phoenixnet I don't believe that's possible without some knowledge about the bios's assembly code or compile instructions.

Fresh off playing Pinball on the school computers.

Reply 8 of 8, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried adding the NNOPROM.BIN and ROSUPD.BIN to a bunch of motherboards and to no success... I've got a TL866 programmer so i've explored a bit with this. Its too bad, I really like that splash screen!