VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hayo!

Long time no read 😉 I've got some spare time so I decided to tinker a bit with my 286 which I built up a while ago.
It has this board (got it via ebay from amoretro):
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/N/N … I-286-4200.html
http://www.amoretro.de/ebay/2016/04/286_10_512.jpg

CPU is a 286 10MHz i think.

plus a Trident TVGA9000C and a Winbond W837787AA I/O card.
hdd is a WD caviar 2540 with 540.8 MB (used anydisk to make it fully accessible).

OS is DOS 6.22

Unfortunately, randomly the PC shows "RAM PARITY ERROR, CHECKING FOR SEGMENT ADDRESS" and then it shows "OFFENDING SEGMENT" plus some garbage because appearently it freezes before it can finish to print the address on the screen.

I've run the tool "checkit" and did run extensive memory tests (10 passes) and no errors were found. also on the HDD no errors were found. all the other tests were successful as well.

anyone got an idea what i can test/what could be wrong?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 5, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sure, the PSU is kind of a cheap-ass one. check out the photo I've linked in my opening post, there are no SIMMs, it has DIP memory chips and half of them are soldered so i'd have to put the board out to remove or swap them (makes me wanna puke)...

Reply 3 of 5, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK after the Video Test of checkit (which runs fine) it says that there were memory parity errors. however they don't appear when I do the memory test using checkit.
so i conclude that maybe really the PSU's voltage might be dropping at higher load (graphics card utilization) which causes memory errors.

too lazy to hookup the scope, however...

Reply 4 of 5, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have overcome myself and hooked up the scope to the supply lines. Everything hunky dory. Just to be sure I tried two other PSUs, no luck
I already changed the VGA card to a TSENG ET3000 with 256k of memory -> no luck, still parity errors

should I change other things like HDD and I/O controller?

Or is it likely that the motherboard (maybe some tantals or memory chips) is defective?

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 5, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

now that's strange.

there are 36 pieces of 16 pin DIP memory chips on there. half of them read MSM41256A, which are 262144-WORD x 1-BIT Dynamic RAMs.
Those 18 MSM41256A are socketed, so I pulled them out. The BIOS still recognized 512K as before, so I guess the chips which I pulled out weren't active and the whole memory incl. the pulled out chips would be 1MB.

One of the pins of the chips I pulled out was completely bent and made NO contact to the socket.
Now, without those 18 chips, everything seems to work just fine.

If the memory was not used (i.e. disabled), how can this have caused memory parity errors?

Thanks!