VOGONS

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm working on a project in which I need to add a SCSI device to a motherboard. In particular, a HDD because this particular motherboard cannot boot Linux except from SCSI devices (I will post details at the appropriate time...). The motherboard itself doesn't have a SCSI controller, so I need to add one. That part is taken care of. I do have SCSI drives, cables, terminators etc, so that's not a problem either. The issue is, the SCSI drives that I have are old. All SCSI drives in existence are old, they're not made anymore so eventually, probably soon, they will start dying.

I would like to find a solution where I can attach current commodity drives (SATA, either mechanical or SSD) to the SCSI bus. Apparently at some point such adapters were made, but either aren't available anymore or sell for outrageous prices. For instance: https://www.pc-pitstop.com/scsi_ide_adapters/ $300; https://www.datapro.net/products/aztecmonster … ta-adapter.html not available anymore etc.

Does anyone here use such an adapter, and do you have any idea where I could find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I already checked the most obvious sources like ebay, Amazon, Newegg etc.

( there's this https://www.addonics.com/products/adsalvd160.php which has 2 problems: still costs too much, and converts to a LVD bus which I can't use)

(edit there's this on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACARD-AEC-7732U-Ultr … id=122675057007 but it's only good for optical drives, doesn't work for HDDs according to http://www.acard.com/index.files/Page385.htm - the seller has some of the ones for HDDs but they're $1000 each 😲 )

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 12, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I've done exactly this. My setup is a Symbios/LSI Logic U160 dual channel card with that Acard adapter and another Acard adapter that works with CDs and DVDs. The Addonics adapter is actually an Acard adapter. I don't remember the exact model numbers.

BTW, that Acard adapter works with single ended cards too. I know because I've tried it with a Bt-958. But the BT-958 is a finnicky card with horrible Linux drivers that cause bus resets, so I gave up on it. I'll look at my setup in the morning and post more info if you want.

Reply 2 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, that will help. Thanks.
BTW the card I'm using is a 53c875 (Diamond Fireport 40). It has both 50 and 68pin buses so I could use either.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just get a SCSI2SD and be done with it.

http://store.inertialcomputing.com/category-s/100.htm

The v6 card will perform better with modern SCSI cards, but is more expensive.

Reply 4 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm that's interesting. Not sure about installing Linux on a SD card though and how it will play with the card's expected life.

(edit) I have ordered 2 of the scsi2sd v.5. Seems decent for a solution, and SD cards are easy to replace. Thank you for this suggestion. I had actually watched Phil's video at the time but had completely forgotten about this option.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SCSI2SD v6 looks tempting. Has anyone benchmarked this against standard SCSI narrow drives which support 10 MB/s sync transfers?

I like how v5.1 and v6 are using full-sized SD cards now. Alternately, I prefer jumper termination. Looks like they went away from that.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually prefer the microSD, and the physical terminators. Plus the price difference is significant. And since this isn't going to be a fast machine, FastSCSI speeds (or even slower) are OK.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was fast shipping. I got the package with the scsi2sd adapters today. Preliminary testing shows that they're really picky about the USB cables you use to configure them, only 1 out of 4 cables I tried worked (all 4 cables work with other devices). But eventually I was able to upgrade the firmware to 4.8 (they came with 4.7.1) and define HDDs on a 64GB card. Testing in the actual target machine will have to wait for another day.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

its still not exactly cheap! I was hoping for IDE to SD prices
I do wonder what will happen to my old Compaq/HP/Dell servers with hot swap drives when I run out of SCSI discs.
Hot swap is sexy bit does limit your choices of what you can do 🙁

Reply 9 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm having some trouble with the SCSI2SD adapters. I put a 64GB card in one of them, configured it so it will show 2 32GB devices to the controller. Put it in the machine I'm working on currently (AlphaPC 164) with a 53c875 controller, and in the firmware (ARC) it shows me on the SCSI bus 2 devices, one 60GB and one 28GB. ??? And when I attempted to install WinNT4 it loads the SCSI driver OK but then stops as it cannot find any partition to install on.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't actually have a SCSI2SD so could be totally wrong here.
but I would think it would be better to have the card as 1 big 64GB drive and let either the controller or NT do the partitioning.
at least then it'll be done in a way that your hardware/OS understands?

Reply 11 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

I don't actually have a SCSI2SD so could be totally wrong here.
but I would think it would be better to have the card as 1 big 64GB drive and let either the controller or NT do the partitioning.
at least then it'll be done in a way that your hardware/OS understands?

The adapter itself doesn't do any partitioning or formatting. It presents portions of the SD card as raw devices to the controller, all partitioning and formatting is done in the BIOS/OS. I'm talking to the developer as the raw devices that the adapter generates are not what I tell it to.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I figured out what was wrong with the setup. The SCSI2SD device worked correctly but the host was getting confused by the remnants of the SD card partition table that lingered on. I erased the card completely, and I was able to partition it and install an OS on it through the SCSI2SD. I am very happy now.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O