VOGONS

First post, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, everyone. I'll make this short and sweet:

DIR > PRN
"Write fault error writing device PRN"

This is an IBM PC Convertible with the serial+parallel attachment; the printer is a C. Itoh 8510. I can tell that the printer is being detected on some basic level, because if I have it already on while the computer boots, it does a little hiccup as DOS starts up.

I can use the printer on another computer, so I know it's not that. PRN is supposed to be LPT1 on the Convertible as long as you don't have the portable-printer attachment, which I don't; nevertheless, I've tried SET PRN=LPT1 and SET PRN=LPT2 with no success.

I feel like I must be missing something terribly basic here. Any ideas? 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try DIR > LPT1?
Is the parallel port known working (tested with another device)?

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 3, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DIR > LPT1 gave the same result.

I haven't tested this particular parallel port with another device, so I know it's possible that it's malfunctioning; there was some kind of fundamental communication with the computer, though, when it hiccuped as I booted. It feels like the problem must be at the software level...

Reply 3 of 3, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I connected this printer to a completely different DOS machine and got exactly the same results.

I should clarify that the "other computer" I'd gotten it working with before was an Apple II. Both of the DOS PCs I've tried have given me the problem I described before.

I've seen a historical photo of this exact printer connected to an IBM 5150, though, so presumably it's possible.

Am I just missing something really fundamental here? DIP switch? Driver? I've Googled like mad but can't find any useful information...